• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Artificial nesting materials (1 Viewer)

IanF

After seeing Gaye's photo in the Gallery of the Goldfinch taking cotton wool, it may be a good moment to remind members who are fortunate to have birds nesting in the garden of a way in which they can help.
In 2001 we had Blue Tits nesting in a nest box. When I cleaned out the nest box I found it mainly comprised animal hair and moss. There was a low success rate that year.
In 2002 we decided to give them a helping hand, providing nesting material in the form of a string sack of cotton wool "nest builder" which I hung from the feeding station. All sorts of birds made ready use of it, including the Blue Tits and Goldfinches.
It only took the Blue Tits a few days to build their nest this year, with only having a few feet to fly to the cotton wool. They had a very successful breeding year with 9 surviving (we have a camera in the box) and when I cleaned it out afterwards it was twice as thick as the previous year and very snug indeed.
We bought the cotton sacks online - only £1.95 - £4.95 ( if you want to know where send me a 'pm' rather than advetise) else follow Gaye's suggestion and save up the cotton wool from pill bottles and other sources !
Goldfinch on cotton sack
Blue Tit on cotton sack
Blue Tit with mouthful
Goldfinch pausing for a bite to eat on way to nest

Last edited:
Okay, now I'm curious about providing nesting materials! Any help appreciated and remember that I have no clue what I'm doing, so that's why I'm asking! :)

Gaye mentioned using the cotton from medicine bottles, so I am assuming any bottle of pills with the cotton stuffed at the top is okay?

I just asked my local garden store if they'd look into ordering some bags of nesting material, so that's also an option.

What other items can I make a nesting material bag out of? I have some 100% down pillows that I just replaced -- could I use that down? What about dryer lint? Human hair or just pet hair? (I have a cat that has been leaving huge fluffs of hair on the shrubs and have been picking it up now to put into my goodie bag!)

Can I use string or yarn? If so, any particular kind -- like 100% cotton or wool or synthetic? And, how long would I cut the pieces?

How about fabric? I once took up quilting and although I kinda quit quilting, I seem to buy fabric continuously... could I tear some of that into strips?

What other ideas are there? Also -- will it still be good if it gets rained on? And, would one big bag work or should I hang a few around my property? I have five acres with tons of pine trees.

THANKS for any help! (again!)

Hi Carol,

Many birds normally use the materials you mention - pet hair, feathers (down) string, pieces of plastic etc, anything pliable a just a few inches long.

Not sure about the fabric though, at least for the smaller birds.

Before purchasing the nesting materials I used to just place peices of cotton wool and lint in amongst and on top of the shrubs and patio tubs and the birds used to love it.

I woulndn't worry too much about it getting wet, though the drier the better.

We only have a small garden and so this year we only used the one lot of nesting material which was held in a string bag. All the birds used to have a good go at it. By the Summer there was virtually none left.

Last year we put out both dog and cat hairs. Funnily enough the Blue Tits preferred the cat hairs! They used nearly all of it! But never went near the dog hairs. Like I always said. Dogs SMELL!!!!
Would you go to bed in your dog's bed???

:t:

Yes, we've got two dogs and one cat and they're all as bad as each other, one way and another!!

:cat: 8-P

The cat hair goes quickly as does dog hair.. but human hair is a big deal too.
I use only cotton and from Vitamins not pills..
and Swallows love feathers. I buy white feathers from a craft store and raffia from there too.
Today I bought some pine shavings that come in a log for about $3.00CDN and I will put it in the four new Bluebird boxes Lee built.. we will fill the woodpecker houses as they love to think they are in cavities.
I love the bags of cotton that Ian posted.. I would love to have that stuff and will look around for some... that is just so wonderful and I know my birds love all the nesting materials we put out.
I have seen many different birds taking what they need.
I love it when my chickadees take the cotton... they look like little snowballs!!!
Thanks for your pics Ian they are fabulous...

Brilliant idea to provide this nesting material - I will start collecting now, ready for spring

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back