• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (8 Viewers)

WELL Boys excitement over back down to earth Tomorrow ..with a trial run of next weeks all-dayer. I did see rain was due on one TV weather forecast but not sure now. Anyhow I will be there with Crofty (junior), Dave and hopefully a few more of us.
B :)John

Hi John. I'm doing an all-dayer around Worcestershire on Sunday to get me fit for the Upton all-dayer, and if you add the Bluethroat day on Wednesday, which seemed like an all-dayer through lack of sleep the night before, the words ' must be mad' comes to mind.

Des.

Willow Warblers and Woodland Management

As you say, John, back down to earth after recent incredible events...

This year I've been very encouraged to see how Willow Warblers have responded immediately to the recent management work carried out by the tuesday work-party crew. As most avid birders are aware, Willow Warblers have declined significanly in England over the past 30 years, by up to 50%. This may be partly due to climatic factors (they are still abundant in northern Britain) but may also be linked to the decline in traditional management styles, such as coppicing. From regular estimates of breeding pairs in double figures in the 1980's, they have declined to virtually none in recent summers at Upton Warren. I, personally, haven't seen any bright lemon-yellow-breasted juveniles on site for several years - a sight that was once regular.

Therefore, this year it is encouraging to see that two males are holding territory on the east side of the moors pool and that both territories coincide exactly with the areas that have been coppiced recently. I hope that further rotational management over the coming years will improve the habitat, both in this area and in the north moors plantation, so that this species (with its beautiful song) can flourish at Upton once again.

Attachments

• Willow Warbler Secret garden.jpg
    Willow Warbler Secret garden.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Secret Garden.jpg
    Secret Garden.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Coppiced Area Moors East.jpg
    Coppiced Area Moors East.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
another buzzard|

can any one id this one for me originally thought strange light buzzard but after checking books may be rough legged even had honey suggested but pretty sure thats not the case any help gratefully received, cheers trace.

Attachments

• _DSC3374.JPG
    _DSC3374.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 106
  • _DSC3373.JPG
    _DSC3373.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 127
can any one id this one for me originally thought strange light buzzard but after checking books may be rough legged even had honey suggested but pretty sure thats not the case any help gratefully received, cheers trace.

Hi Trace,

Looks like a pale Common Buzzard to me (its crop appears to be full) - great flight shots though.

Morning Dave I see you are on here its 5am almost ready to get down to the 'mecca'. I predict Black or arctic tern and its about time we had some waders.
See you in a bit:t:

Before i got in the hide, Gary biker Prescott texted me to say there was a Whimbrel on the flashes. That showed briefly and with a brief scan around I managed to find a Greenshank too - which is still here now. My year list rises to 124.

Last edited:
Wader passage starts here! One of those Wood Sands dotted round the West Mids would be nice.

Dave - are you keeping a tally of the species in this dry-run for the All-Dayer?

Popped over a bit earlier today hoping on arrival I could bag what I thought was 2 new species for me.
Suffering a swollen ankle I was making my best speed down the path to the Flashes to be greeted by John who informed me there were 3 new arrivals !!

Wood Sandpiper, Whimbrel and Greenshank showed well, a Cuckoo flew across and a Green Gilled Gert was briefly observed :-O..... more was to come over at the Moors where a lovely Yellow Wagtail obligingly dropped in :t:

Added to this one of my Upton bogey birds, Collard Dove, made an appearance to provide 4 lifers and an Upton tick helping me to get my Upton Year Century ...I'm sure there is more to come today but it was a good point to reach and put my foot up for the rest of the day B :)

Wader Passage at last!

Record Shots of today's splendid trio below. They are classic spring waders at Upton - Wood Sandpiper being the scarcest.

In the evening we saw another Arctic Tern briefly on the flashes and a Swift flew over the orchard - making a daily tally of 82 species (Mike will confirm)

Attachments

• Wood Sandpiper Flashes 290411.JPG
    Wood Sandpiper Flashes 290411.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Whimbrel Flashes 290411.jpg
    Whimbrel Flashes 290411.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Greenshank Flashes 290411.jpg
    Greenshank Flashes 290411.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 88
Managed half a day on Tues around my campus and nearby fields and got 79 sp fancy a little comp on the all dayer seen as I can't make it down to Upton for it?

God bless the Royal Family .....

.... for organising a wedding and therefore a Bank Holiday on a day a wader passage!

Highlights for the day included the Whimbrel, Wood Sandpiper, Greenshank (part of 11 wader species on the reserve today), 3 Arctic Terns (2 first thing and 1 late), Yellow Wagtail at the Moors Pool, female White Wagtail at the Flashes, a variety of wader chicks, a showy Garden Warbler in the Education Reserve and a female Marsh Harrier seen very briefly as it flew low out of the Education Reserve towards Upton Warren village.

I made the species count only 79 for the day (incl the Swift) so I will be interested to see Mike's final veredict.

Four year ticks today puts me on 114; dread to think what Mr W is now on - suspect its around 126?

Last edited:
Whimbrel, Greenshank and Wood Sandpiper were the 134th, 135th and 136th species respectively for Upton Warren this year.

Movement of Bar-wits at the minute; hopefully one may drop into the Flashes tomorrow.

The new waders in today at the Flashes were :
Greenshank, Whimbrel, Wood Sand, Common Sand 2, Green sand.

Phil I think the total was 81 or 82. add to your list Jay, Hobby, swift

The new waders in today at the Flashes were :
Greenshank, Whimbrel, Wood Sand, Common Sand 2, Green sand.

Phil I think the total was 81 or 82. add to your list Jay, Hobby, swift

With Swift, Jay and Hobby the total for the day was 81, the same number as recorded last Friday. Missing species included Water Rail, any owls, Mistle Thrush, Green Woody, Mipit and Raven.

With Swift, Jay and Hobby the total for the day was 81, the same number as recorded last Friday. Missing species included Water Rail, any owls, Mistle Thrush, Green Woody, Mipit and Raven.

Agree with 81 having double-checked my notebook. Also Grey Wag and Redshank would species reasonably expected but not present today.

Managed a healthy 7 Upton year-ticks today (Whimbrel, Greenshank, Wood Sand, Cuckoo, Yellow Wag, Garden Warbler and Swift) which, along with the Bluethroat on Wednesday takes my year-list to 112. Still well behind Dave but perhaps a little closer to the chasing 'pack' :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back