• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

Christmas Count

Hi everyone. I mentioned to Rich that I organise a "Christmas Count" which has taken place in the Hants/Surrey Border area since 1994. It involves collecting together any local observations for the period 24th-31st Dec but in particular has a co-ordinated waterfowl count on Dec 29th. I have a summary of last years count (which in fact shows totals for the last 10 years), plus instructions and a recording spreadsheet for this year's count.

Thanks to RS and RH who've said they can help on 29th. Anyone else would be welcome to contribute on other dates, eg observations from Ash Ranges, Crooksbury, Cutt Mill etc.

If you would like to take part, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you all the details.

Happy Christmas and good birding in 2012 to everyone.

John

A quiet morning which did however see large numbers of Gulls (incl 50+ LBB) on the workings. Other notable species included Snipe (15), Skylark (2), Meadow Pipit (11), Canada Geese (100+) Reed Bunting (2) and rather surprisingly a drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker. The Snipe appear to have moved down to the silt overflow at the north end of the workings. 25 species in all and the water levels are increasing especially in the middle of the meadow. Wellies are certainly required at the moment. Merry Christmas to you all.

Rich

Managed to see the Water Rail again this morning but it was very elusive. Also seen - 6 Siskin, 3 Lesser Redpoll, 20+ Fieldfare, 2 Redwing, 6 Meadow Pipit, Kestrel, Snipe, 150 + Lapwing, & 6 Egyptian Geese.

Merry Xmas to all Tices Birders,

John.

Tice's away day on Friday. Norfolk looking good - Cley Perhaps? 4 interested:

Rich S
Matt
Dave B
John H (poss)

Any suggestions? Western Sandpiper and north Norfolk coast 3 hours away and I'll drive; may need early bells departure from the 'Shot.

Your thoughts please.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Sounds good, Western still present so Cley a must, also Arctic Poll at Titchwell & Rough Leg at Holkham today. I reckon bag the Western early doors, assuming it sticks, & then check birdguides for other North coast rares & keep it fluid. An early start has got to be essential though!

Cheers,

John.

Hi Rich,

Sounds good, Western still present so Cley a must, also Arctic Poll at Titchwell & Rough Leg at Holkham today. I reckon bag the Western early doors, assuming it sticks, & then check birdguides for other North coast rares & keep it fluid. An early start has got to be essential though!

Cheers,

John.

John Good plan. Rich and I left at 0430 the other week and arrived at 0730 and bagged the Western soon afterwards. We did pretty much the same following and finished with the Arctic Redpoll and Little Auk at Titchwell. Should be a good day.

Great, looking forward to it.

Rich

Tice's away day on Friday. Norfolk looking good - Cley Perhaps? 4 interested:

Rich S
Matt
Dave B
John H (poss)

Any suggestions? Western Sandpiper and north Norfolk coast 3 hours away and I'll drive; may need early bells departure from the 'Shot.

Your thoughts please.

Rich

A good idea to organise these 'away days' on here Rich, as I would love to join you on some. Can't do this one though I'm afraid (working!:C).

Morning guys. Hope everyone had a good one. Rich i cant wait for friday. The westy would be awesome and anything else a bonus for me. May see you all tomorrow at tices. Cheers Dave.

Pretty quiet this morning, no sign of the rail in the stream. Flushed the Green Sandpiper from the silt pool, Grey Wagtail along the river, a few Fieldfare, & 250+ Lapwing on the workings.

John.

May i wish one and all a happy New Year and good birding 2012.
Not much to report Lapwing numbers 128 also found front lens cap if any ones lost one.

Happy New Year Guys, 48 species seen this morning at Tices & Tongham. At Tices 150+ Lapwing, 3 Skylark, Kestrel, Meadow Pipit, 100+ Fieldfare, Goldcrest, 2 Shoveler, 7 Siskin, & 3 Lesser Redpoll. At Tongham, 12 Gadwall, 10 Pochard, 12 Wigeon, 30+ Tufted Duck, & Drake Shoveler.

John.

3 Pintail on flooded meadow 12 30 pm 2 male 1 female lots of gull there also common, l b b, b h herring 70 + Golden plover did not hang around Peregrine about and 128 lapwing

A long trip this morning (approx. 9:45-13:00), for part of which I was joined by Dave B. Highlights included 7 Wigeon high over Tice's, seemingly heading in the direction of Tongham lake, at least one Bullfinch, one Redpoll and a dozen Siskin in the trees, also a calling Chiffchaff. 6 Common Gull, 1 LBB amongst 150+ Black-headeds. Walking down to Tongham proved a worthy excursion (despite the fallen tree almost completely blocking the path) as I was greeted on the other side of the wood by a Yellowhammer which flew up from the bank by the quarry and briefly alighted in a Willow by the river, with over a dozen Fieldfare. Just a light scattering of Wigeon, Pochard and Gadwall amongst the usual suspects on the lake. A Kingfisher was heard but not seen.

Matt.

Fairly productive session this morning - Nice male Bullfinch, 13+ Siskin, 2 Lesser Redpoll, 2 Little Egret, Green Sandpiper, Kestrel, Buzzard, 3 Teal, 3 Shoveler, 2 Skylark, brief view of the Water Rail, & Peregine with Lapwing in it's talons which it subsequently dropped.

John.

Very fleeting half hour visit for me late morning produced 1 Peregrine, 2 Buzzard (high N), 2 Stock Dove and a dog walker in the meadow.

Matt.

Fairly quiet this morning, Reed Bunting, 2 Teal, 2 Shoveler, Water Rail, Meadow Pipit, 2 Skylark, single Lapwing, & single Golden Plover that flew out of the workings calling.

John.

Quiet Morning yesterday with only 5 Snipe worthy of note. Dog walkers on the workings which appeared to have put everything up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back