• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (1 Viewer)

Another Greenshank on the meadow 8 30am flew up high then down into workings .Could not relocate . I wonder if its the same bird we had on 15th but is good at hiding? Little Greab in settling pond .4 Com Tern and Grey Lag Goose.

Plenty of hidden pools in the workings to hide/feed

Kevin

Don't forget to check those power cables. A few Bee-eaters are in the country along the south coast. Also must not forget the flyover White Stork, again a few in the south appear to be on the move.

We can dream!!

Kevin.

Decent session this morning (10:00-12:00). Bushes absolutely bursting with warbler song -at least 5 each of Blackcap and Whitethroat, 1 Garden Warbler, a couple of Chiffchaff, and a very fine Lesser Whitethroat which flew over my head and perched briefly on a bramble bush.
In the meadow itself: the 2 Ringed Plovers were still in the bike pool, along with at least 4 very mobile LRPs. I picked up a Greenshank in one of the flooded meadow pools, before noticing two more further back behind the long grass. At least 5 Reed and 2 Sedge Warblers singing in the reedbed along with two Reed Bunting. At least 4 Common Tern. One each of Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Lapwing and Cormorant over.
Just as I was about to leave, I was joined on the bank by a new birder. Didn't catch his name but he had heard of Tice's and was keen to check it out, which is promising!

Matt.

Not much to add to Matt's tally this afternoon, the 3 Greenshank were still feeding on the meadow when I left mid afternoon. Matt, the Sedge Warblers are interesting as I'm not aware of any being recorded this spring up to now. Had a walk past the reedbeds & could hear at least 5/6 Reed's singing but no Sedgies, I'll try again tomorrow.

John.

Not much to add to Matt's tally this afternoon, the 3 Greenshank were still feeding on the meadow when I left mid afternoon. Matt, the Sedge Warblers are interesting as I'm not aware of any being recorded this spring up to now. Had a walk past the reedbeds & could hear at least 5/6 Reed's singing but no Sedgies, I'll try again tomorrow.

John.

Hi John,

Perhaps it was just my ears playing tricks then! There was a jumble of noise coming from the reedbed, a couple of which sounded Sedge-like to me, but could well have just been slightly abberant Reeds! I only actually saw Reeds, so was going by song alone on the Sedges. Apologies.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

One or two of the Reeds were sounding rather manic due to another bird singing in close proximity & so upping the ante as it were. Sedge are normally recorded every Spring in fewer no's than Reed, but don't seem to hang around. I've found over the years bird song is a complex subject with no hard & fast rules so anything is possible! There's a rather talented Song Thrush at Tices which has a wide repetoir inc an excellent Redshank!

Cheers,

John.

Hi John,

Yes it's certainly a minefield! Strangely, I find I can easily separate the likes of Garden Warbler and Blackcap now, but still come a cropper with Reed and Sedge from time to time.
Some birds' mimicry is extraordinary - I've recently had Starlings in my garden doing incredibly accurate impressions of Canada Goose, Wigeon and Green Woodpecker!

Matt.

The 3 Greenshank are still present on the meadow this morning, also Common Sandpiper, & 3 LRP, no sign of the Ringed Plovers yet though.

John.

John,

Saw a single Ringed Plover behind the 'bike pool' at about 14:00.

Question for Dave B. Did you see the Cuckoo at Tices or hear it in the distance roughly south of Badshot Lea Ponds?

Kevin

Gentlemen - you appear to be having a cracking week. Keep the coverage up, it's nice to rear about home turf. Dave B, the twitchmeister general, - it's all about the list!

The Common Terns are breeding. Yesterday a bird was sitting on a nest. It is on the smallest island viewable from the path between the slit ponds. I assume they are on eggs as I saw them change brooding shifts, but could not see any eggs as nest is in a hollow with a stick surround,
I dont think the BHG's will breed as many appear to be sub-adults.

Kevin

This morning's highlights - 3 Greenshank still on the meadow, Common Sandpiper on the Bike Pool, 4 LRP, Hobby high over the workings, & Red Kite which drifted over the bank, workings, & A31.
Kev, agree on the Tern's I had suspected this pair breeding for a while, there also seems to be another pair favouring one of the larger islands. I observed a pair of BHG's mating this morning, although as you say they were 2cy sub adults.

John.

I saw it briefly,flying just the other side of the A31.

Thanks Dave,

Must be the same one I heard in the distance then in the afternoon south of Badshot Lea Ponds area.

The only record is a flyover seen by John (can't seem to find the date). Can't be long before they discover the Reed Warblers.

Kevin

The only record is a flyover seen by John (can't seem to find the date). Can't be long before they discover the Reed Warblers.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Kev,

Just looked back through my notes, I had 2 over on 08/05/2011.

Cheers,

John.

Quiet this evening - pair of Egyptian geese in the workings,4 lrps,4 each of whitethroat,blackcap, & chiffchaff,3 reed warbler,4 skylark ,& buzzard.

john.

This morning (c.9:45-12:15) was a scorcher, and I think most of the birds were in hiding, aside from the raptors and warblers! Shortly after a Peregrine caused much panic among the Terns, a Buzzard soared above the workings, mobbed by a Kestrel. A male Sparrowhawk flew low through the bushes carrying prey. 3 LRPs the only highlight on the meadow. 2 singing Skylark, one of which appeared to have a bit of a scrap with two others over the bank. Juvenile Pied Wag in the bike pond. Common Tern still on nest, and one of two others seen bringing fish across from Badshot Lea Pond. At least 3 Garden Warbler, 5 Whitethroat, 4 each of Blackcap and Chiffchaff and 2 Bullfinch in the bushes. Nice also to see a Hobby over Lower Farnham Road on the walk down, and to bump into Rich H.
Hopefully see some of you tomorrow morning. Happy birthday in advance, John!

Matt.

Last edited:
Chaps can i confirm Cuckoo around Badshot Lea fishing ponds heard 7 am local dog walker comfrimed also as he abuts lake other side of road , should of told Matt when we met sorry. Also Nightjars Crooksbury Common with woodcock wonderfull 9 pm .
rich h .

Chaps can i confirm Cuckoo around Badshot Lea fishing ponds heard 7 am local dog walker comfrimed also as he abuts lake other side of road , should of told Matt when we met sorry. Also Nightjars Crooksbury Common with woodcock wonderfull 9 pm .
rich h .

Excellent, mate! Did half think I heard one today, but you know when something's right on the cusp of your hearing? Also was surprisingly windy up on the bank which didn't help! See you tomorrow.

Matt.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back