• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (64 Viewers)

Anybody know whereabouts at long nab the firecrest and ybw have been seen? Cheers, sam. Ps i must have seen a lot of you this morn at the pipit. I was the teen.

Bit better of the OB Pipit at Filey today, It has a gammy right eye but seemed to be feeding well this afternoon, was showing down to a few feet at times!!

Olive-backedPipit016edited.jpg

heard a rumour of Snow Goose at Filey Dams. Anyone got any info?

I was there this afternoon, and one of the locals pointed out what he said was a Ross' Goose sat amongst the Canada & Greylags.

He couldn't be certain, though, whether it was from a collection.

HTH

Richard

Had a great day at Filey today, despite the wind keeping a lot of stuff in shelter & juggling the needs of family, including kids & dog.

Lots of very obliging waders on the beach - Knot, Sanderling, Turnstone, Redshank & Oystercatchers. Even more obliging Purple Sandpipers on the Brigg that sat within 6ft of me.

Not many sea ducks other than Common & Velvet Scoter (the latter another lifer for me!!). Two chaps with seriously long lenses were photographing something at the end of the Brigg. As I got closer I could see it was a Phalarope - they confirmed it as a Grey - another lifer!!

Later on the cliff tops managed yet another lifer - Snow Bunting. This more than made up for a potential disaster - as I looked through my bins I set my tripod & scope to one side, which was then caught by a gust & sent over the edge. Fortunately it ended up just below the cliff top & I was able to climb down a bit & retireve it. I have visions of it going all the way down the cliff though!!!

On the way home stopped off at the Dams. More Redshank, a Godwit, Teal, Shovler, Greylags & Canada Gees. A local pointed out a Rosses Goose. If it's truly wild that will be my 4th lifer of the day. Not sure whether to tick that one though.

Home now well & truly knackered. Time for wine & pizza!!!!!

Richard

Had a great day at Filey today, despite the wind keeping a lot of stuff in shelter & juggling the needs of family, including kids & dog.

Lots of very obliging waders on the beach - Knot, Sanderling, Turnstone, Redshank & Oystercatchers. Even more obliging Purple Sandpipers on the Brigg that sat within 6ft of me.

Not many sea ducks other than Common & Velvet Scoter (the latter another lifer for me!!). Two chaps with seriously long lenses were photographing something at the end of the Brigg. As I got closer I could see it was a Phalarope - they confirmed it as a Grey - another lifer!!

Later on the cliff tops managed yet another lifer - Snow Bunting. This more than made up for a potential disaster - as I looked through my bins I set my tripod & scope to one side, which was then caught by a gust & sent over the edge. Fortunately it ended up just below the cliff top & I was able to climb down a bit & retireve it. I have visions of it going all the way down the cliff though!!!

On the way home stopped off at the Dams. More Redshank, a Godwit, Teal, Shovler, Greylags & Canada Gees. A local pointed out a Rosses Goose. If it's truly wild that will be my 4th lifer of the day. Not sure whether to tick that one though.

Home now well & truly knackered. Time for wine & pizza!!!!!

Richard

Ross's isnt on the british list and a bird not with pink-feet doesnt stand a chance of being accepted as wild.

Filey Brigg

Nice to see you on the Brigg today Richard despite the wind it was a cracking day.
velvet scoters were showing quite well, a flyby red throated diver and the star of the show-a grey phalarope that initially landed in front of us on the bay side then spent an hour feeding in the kelp on the sea side.
Seriously windy but despite that the birding was great-all the action was right at the very end over low tide.
Full account and more pics on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled-4.jpg
    untitled-4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 55
  • untitled-11.jpg
    untitled-11.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 93
  • untitled-13.jpg
    untitled-13.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 74
  • untitled-19.jpg
    untitled-19.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 79
  • untitled-15.jpg
    untitled-15.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Great birding at Filey today. Good to chat with Richard G and Martin Standley too. A few shots of one of the Snow Buntings and one of the Purple Sandpipers. No point putting up a Phal shot as Martin's is a cracker!

Attachments

• IMG_9382-Snow-Bunting.jpg
    IMG_9382-Snow-Bunting.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9311-Purple-sandpiper.jpg
    IMG_9311-Purple-sandpiper.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 47
Nice to see you on the Brigg today Richard despite the wind it was a cracking day.

Didn't realise it was you Martin, so apologies. Canon or Nikon?? One of you helped id some of the beach waders on the way back up the slope, so thank you!!

Great birding at Filey today. Good to chat with Richard G and Martin Standley too.

Thanks for the ID of Velvet Scoters & Snow Buntings!!

Beer, wine & pizza got in the of way processing photos. With my little lens the phal shots I'm sure won't be as good as what's aready been posted!!

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back