• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdcount on a golfcourse (1 Viewer)

erik

cheesehead
Netherlands
Past sunday morning i did a birdcount on a brand new golfcourse outside Assen. It's about 1,5 years old and some birdinterested golfers wanted to know what birds flewaround there and planned on having a regular birdcount to see what species will be coming and going and establishing. So last sunday was the first time. We did the counting with 2 groups of 6. In 2,5 hours we counted 41 species. Then i left for church while they have been counting on til 11.30.
Birding on a golfcourse is awesome!!! Just watch all the balls going...
I am still expecting the full list but here's the one i witnessed:

Tufted Duck
Mallard
Egyptian Goose
Black-tailed Godwit
Common Redshank
Great Black-backed Gull
Lapwing
Oystercatcher
Bullfinch
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Grashopper Warbler (tick!)
Willow Warbler
Yellowhammer
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba alba L.)
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii Gould)
Buzzard
Cuckoo (my first visual tick!)
Linnet
Carrion Crow
House Sparrow
Meadow Pipit
Wood Lark
Jay
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Starling
Robin
Wren
Treecreeper
Tree Pipit
Woodpigeon
Wood Warbler
Pheasant
Greenfinch
Grey Heron
Barn Swallow
Hedge Sparrow
Chiffchaff

Sorry for not having them in the right order...
One question: can i put the second white wagtail on my list as a diff species? Since it has an own name in dutch...

erik said:
One question: can i put the second white wagtail on my list as a diff species? Since it has an own name in dutch...
I don't think even the Dutch have split them yet, Erik.

We were joking about Goldfinches since they are called 'Putter' in dutch. No golfcourse without a putter :D

Hi Erik,
Congrats on the G'hopper Warbler and 'seen' Cuckoo!

Hi Jayuk22,
Welcome to BirdForum!
Yes, Hedge Sparrow is an old name for Dunnock

Michael

golfcourses

erik said:
We were joking about Goldfinches since they are called 'Putter' in dutch. No golfcourse without a putter :D
Hi Erik

I count golfcourses as among some of my best patches.I can't walk on for free to chase birds but I do lurk around the edges close enough to see bald eagles in dead trees over greens and in one case a mute swan that moves between water hazards. they are goldmines for birding
Sam

Attachments

• Copy of fairway swan.jpg
    Copy of fairway swan.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Hi Erik and others,

There are some golf courses around here that we always check out, in early Spring for vagrant Eurasian Golden Plover, in Fall for Whimbrel, other shorebirds and migrant passerines around the edge, and in winter for Snowy owls and other raptors. I read recently that there is a concern about the number of new golf courses being built, and their effect on bird populations - are they good because of the green space and shrubbery and trees around them, or bad because natural habitat has to be removed to create them? Apparently someone is doing a detailed study. It'll be interesting to try and track that one down.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Depends on (a) where they put them: if they're replacing intensive arable cropland (justabout 100% sterile for birds), they're an improvement, but if put on natural habitats, then bad; and (b) whether they are managed in a wildlife-friendly manner or not, e.g. is the 'rough' left good for birds, or sprayed and manicured like the rest?

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back