• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

merg mania #1/2/3 (1 Viewer)

Strandman

Managed to finish the third merg pic this evening, each taking a little longer than the previous and this last one (the Goosanders) a couple of hours. I think they count as a triptych (if that's how you spell it), albeit a small one..

Attachments

• rbmerg copy.jpg
    rbmerg copy.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 169
  • snowsmewUntitled-1.jpg
    snowsmewUntitled-1.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 179
  • goosanderUntitled-1 copy.jpg
    goosanderUntitled-1 copy.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 182
Thats crackin', the best of the lot so far! Dare I say it, your getting better at this by the day! Love the faded brown background effect....

buzzard12 said:
Thats crackin', the best of the lot so far! Dare I say it, your getting better at this by the day! Love the faded brown background effect....

Thanks for those kind words. I took in approximately half the amount of alcohol before and during the Goosanders as the R B Mergs, which may explain the artistic progression to something a little more controlled..I'm might see if I can settle on a drawing and drinking style somewhere at this level.

As for the background, it reminded me of something when I did it and I am never bashful about disclosing influences- somewhere in the memory bank but sadly not on my bookshelf are the illustrations by A W Seaby in British Birds (the Kirkman and Jourdain book published in the 1930s, not the mag :) ...). Out of curiosity I've just had a look and if you search "a w seaby tufted duck" on ebay you can see what I mean- warm faded colours and white ripples painted on top. Of course he definitely wasn't working in photoshop.

Ed K

Nice!

ed keeble said:
Thanks for those kind words. I took in approximately half the amount of alcohol before and during the Goosanders as the R B Mergs, which may explain the artistic progression to something a little more controlled..I'm might see if I can settle on a drawing and drinking style somewhere at this level.

As for the background, it reminded me of something when I did it and I am never bashful about disclosing influences- somewhere in the memory bank but sadly not on my bookshelf are the illustrations by A W Seaby in British Birds (the Kirkman and Jourdain book published in the 1930s, not the mag :) ...). Out of curiosity I've just had a look and if you search "a w seaby tufted duck" on ebay you can see what I mean- warm faded colours and white ripples painted on top. Of course he definitely wasn't working in photoshop.

Ed K

Really dynamic and engaging!

Doesn't matter what mediums you use, Ed - when you're an artist, you're an artist - and you sure are. There's an other-worldly feeling when I look at this latest piece - ethereal and dreamlike - like birding OUGHT to be. Lovely little group of paintings!

I think it's the reflections which make this one stand out from the others, but great composition and the way you do the background gives it a great sense of atmosphere. Now top it!

Mouldy said:
I think it's the reflections which make this one stand out from the others, but great composition and the way you do the background gives it a great sense of atmosphere. Now top it!

I've got an old unfinished Polish marshscape where I lost the will to live before the terns went in, so that might be the prime candidate for the fast and faded treatment as above and then stick some birds in.. So I will keep you posted, but it may take a little longer than these..

Ed K

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back