• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you think of Springwatch? (1 Viewer)

Not so bad just fed up with watching badgers every springwatch.

Loved the Goshawk with Simon King.

Derek

Saying a how the footy season is over and nothing else I watch on TV it was up to usual excellent standard.

I like the idea of the Polecat.... Goshawk is tremendous and even the familiar badger story has a twist. Not sure if they are semi-domestic or performing badgers, but seeing them being hand-fed by that old chap was amazing. At least these ones will be on display when shown live!

Up close and personal, more inter-active and imminently more watchable. It might not appeal to hard-nosed enthusiasts, but I bet it gets more people into nature - surely a good thing?

Looking forward to seeing other footage as it progresses.

Thought Kate Humble was looking old. There was a clip of her and Bill from last year which only flicked on the screen for a couple of seconds and she looked very different to this year. Maybe she has lost weight although she could never in a million years be described as fat at all.

not more boring badgers! Otherwise it was quite good, but as the first programme there was quite a lot of focus on the presenters and introduction stuff. Hopefully we will see a return of the LRPs, Marsh Harriers etc over the next few days.

not more boring badgers! Otherwise it was quite good, but as the first programme there was quite a lot of focus on the presenters and introduction stuff. Hopefully we will see a return of the LRPs, Marsh Harriers etc over the next few days.

Could have been worse. Trouble is I had jump up every time Chris Packham came on to switch the sound off. And tomorrow from the preview we see the real direction this programme is going in. Where to watch wildlife with your dogs. Travesity to those of us who enjoy our wildlife.

I thought it was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised by Chris Packham and thought he did a good job. The Goshawk feature was the highlight for me, especially the slow motion shots. I thought the Badger item was much better than previously and I was very impressed by how much detail can be seen with infrared photography these days.

For me the the weakest link by far was the new boy, Martin. I found him barely watchable with his frantic gesturing and excessive enthusiasm. I actually had to look away. Apart from that I think it looks quite promising.

Ron

Last edited:
I managed to persuade my Other Half to watch until the second half of Corrie came back on and her comment was " its all talk "
I really like Chris Packham, Simon King and Gordon Buchannon but the show need to move forward and show us a greater diversity of the British wildlife.

Terribly terribly boring. There were good bits to it, such as the goshawk nestcam, but 50 mins out of the total programme must either be the presenters talking, or some random robin-strokey bits and bobs. I personally think that the programme is quite confused as to its target audience, playing it too safe with the content level when the majority of the viewers would probably want a little more higher-level content.

I was actually able to play a WWII strategy game (and win!) and watch the programme at the same time, without missing much at all.

:CPluvious you must be one of the minority.

How can Springwatch be dreadful. You like wildlife dont you?

Well done to all on the show. Chris and Martin were great. I think it will be a big success.

Goshawk with Simon was fantastic. What a super bird. Love watching the webcams on the Springwatch site - especially the 'punk' chaffinches!!o:D

Keep up the good work guys.B :)

Marcia

The only thing I didn't like about Chris Packham was the way his presenting style (especially at the start) was very theatrical. When he toned it down and just spoke in a normal voice then he was much better to listen to.

I wonder what kind of reaction he'll get from some religious people after he talked about evolution in action?

The missus (not normally that fussed by nature on TV) even insisted we watch the 15 minutes extra on the 'red button'. Ashes to Ashes had to wait....... I reckon that's a success!

Perry

The only thing I didn't like about Chris Packham was the way his presenting style (especially at the start) was very theatrical.

I thought that. I don't think he intends it to look theatrical, but he has a tendency to lean his head back and stretch out one arm.

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen. Lend me your ears!"

He should wear a toga.

For me the the weakest link by far was the new boy, Martin. I found him barely watchable with his frantic gesturing and excessive enthusiasm. I actually had to look away. Apart from that I think it looks quite promising.

Ron

I thought he was a Hippie version of Alan Titchmarsh.

Trouble is you have to watch it all ,because they will show something really interesting when you don't, viewers sending in names for the Lapwing chicks was a bit much !!!
Brian

Thought Chris Packham was breath of fresh air - made Kate Humble appear even more...... well, crap, than before. I was fairly neutral regarding Bill Oddie but would certainly appreciate more of the "higher level" that C Packham is obviously capable of.

Simon King is good but he too has probably been infected by the Humble gushing enthusiasm - but I can forgive it in his case.

It would be good if there was more evolution type context than the oohing and aaaahing over nestlings and the naming of the animal stars - but, I do concede that getting non-believers interested in nature can not be anything but good so maybe members of this forum are way beyond the target audience.

cheers
Gordon

i think i,ts terrible that kate humble is getting all the flake.it was bill oddie last year i think it is terrible i think she does a great job.it seems it is kate is getting it this year instead of bill oddie i think she does a great job.and chris packham is a good replacement for bill i do hope if he does not get the job full time i do hope he gets a little spot on future springwatch or autumn watch.i have been watching him for a long time.so good luck chris and gang.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back