• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7d ii and 100-400 ii - the ultimate travel set up?? (1 Viewer)

petemorris

I've used SLRs nearly all my life, and DSLRs since c2004. It's been a love hate relationship for me, and I've generally been disappointed!

Today changed all of that. My first experience with the above set up for me was a game changer. Suddenly I could point a camera at a flying bird against a background and bang... it was in focus. The same applied to static birds. I'm very impressed! The attached are a few examples to show where the old set up would have struggled. They're not all perfect, the light wasn't great, the ISO was often 1000+, but these pics were, to me at least, a revalation. And, to those with 'lemons', I'm a great 'lemon' believer, having endured one for years. Hopefully this offers some hope!

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• 01 Pintail 01.jpg
    01 Pintail 01.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 318
  • 01 Robin 1.jpg
    01 Robin 1.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 01 Robin 2.jpg
    01 Robin 2.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 01 Ross's Goose 1.jpg
    01 Ross's Goose 1.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 197
  • 01 TO2.jpg
    01 TO2.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 225
And a few more...

Attachments

• 01 Mallard 1.jpg
    01 Mallard 1.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 01 shelduck.jpg
    01 shelduck.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 01 WS2.jpg
    01 WS2.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 01 TO1.jpg
    01 TO1.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 01 BP 1.jpg
    01 BP 1.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 195
The ducks in flight are very impressive - not possible to get those shots with 7DMk1 + 100-400 IS Mk1, especially on a dull day. Most photographers wouldn't have bother going out today!

cheers, a

Canon have really upped themselves with the IS and AF on their new lenses, haven't they Pete. I agree on the 7Dmk2, a wonderful improvement - 5 years without an upgrade for a camera for me too - mind-blowing (even if the noise is only a slight improvement).

You'll be tempting me to 'downgrade' to that new zoom, I need to check it out.

A bit easier to lug around than the 300 2.8, [...]
Pete

May I ask if you have used the combo on a tripod, or handheld? The bif photos are excellent. I have a 600D resting in the closet, unused in the last two years. I am aware that the 600D's bif abilities are only half of what the 7dii can do, but it is still tempting to try this lens.

All were handheld. What impressed me most was its consistent ability to track birds in flight against messy backgrounds - a 'feature' I've never had before! Check these Greylags for example. Other setups I've used would not have been capable of this! :t:

Attachments

• 01 Greylags.jpg
    01 Greylags.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 289
Good to get back to some positives, and hopefully some shared experiences on getting the best out of the 7D11.
Which focus point/s combination did you use for your BIF shots Pete?

Been looking at this combination since they were announced - and now I'm convinced!
Just need to wait for the prices to drop...

Rob

I noticed the AF was consistent on gulls against a busy bsckground too and locked on consistently.
The noise at 1000 iso doesn't look distracting...at 640 it was ok with clean-up but in the uk there are not many sunny dsyslol!
Nice shots Pete.

Good to get back to some positives, and hopefully some shared experiences on getting the best out of the 7D11.
Which focus point/s combination did you use for your BIF shots Pete?

I've set C2 up for flight shots. I use the centre point with the cross around it. AI servo focus priority for first and second image, tracking case 2 with increased sensitivity to track the subject (i.e. tracking set to full minus). Also, most of the time I used IS mode 3. Here's some snaps from this afternoon. These settings seem to work quite well for me, and AF is silent and like lightning! Sadly blew the highlights a little, and being lazy, was only shooting jpegs as usual!

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• 01 Goosander 1.jpg
    01 Goosander 1.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 01 Goosander 2.jpg
    01 Goosander 2.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 01 Goosander 3.jpg
    01 Goosander 3.jpg
    756.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 01 Goosander 4.jpg
    01 Goosander 4.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 01 Goosander 5.jpg
    01 Goosander 5.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Nice shots there Pete!
Just a thought but the AF system on the 7D2 is very similar to the 1DX, which I use. I find case 5 works best for BIF - well for everything really! Might be worth a try as it certainly works for me.
Happy new camera!

Coming from the old 7d, one of the things I'm loving about the 7d mk2 is how customisable it is! Using the back button to focus, I love the fact that I can use the af back button for ai servo and the ae lock (*) button for One Shot. And then the Set button to change ISO, all with my eye still at the viewfinder. Great stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back