• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Introducing myself! (1 Viewer)

spizaetos said:
Hi Dave,

because I'm not making notes during work, the only information I could give is
that it took me up to two weeks of intensive Brushwork to be completed.
The medium was Gouache colours.

Spizaetos

At home, I keep an area in my studio for 'inspiration' - anything that makes me stop and go 'awe', goes into that area. I remember when my friend gave me that callender with the Bonelli's eagle in it, I pondered it for ages (literally ages), and of course it went into the 'inspirational' area. That is an awesome painting, well done!
There was another one I loved which depicted a Harrier flying against the backdrop of a coniferous plantation in the the evening light, tho' I can't remember the artist's name off-hand.
Zek.

zek said:
At home, I keep an area in my studio for 'inspiration' - anything that makes me stop and go 'awe', goes into that area. I remember when my friend gave me that callender with the Bonelli's eagle in it, I pondered it for ages (literally ages), and of course it went into the 'inspirational' area. That is an awesome painting, well done!
There was another one I loved which depicted a Harrier flying against the backdrop of a coniferous plantation in the the evening light, tho' I can't remember the artist's name off-hand.
Zek.

Thank you Zek!
The artist was Jonathan Latimer who won the Birdwatch Competition.
This which I particularly enjoy in this Forum are the Field-sketching Artists,
and the increasing number of the Beginners, who bringing the fresh wind
of the countryside in to our rooms.
There are some exceptional Talents there, like Tim Wooton or Buzzard12 to name but a few.
Although a dedicated "Fan" of Field-sketching, suffering under the pressure of Publishers and private Commisions I had this year rarely the chance to be outside to sketch-I feel very lucky visiting our local zoo..
Last May I was lucky enough to visit the beautiful Kerkini wetland in Northern
Greece.
Attached, few sketches from this visit..

Attachments

• Haubentaucher.jpg
    Haubentaucher.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Blauracke.jpg
    Blauracke.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Nachtreiher.jpg
    Nachtreiher.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Grauammer.jpg
    Grauammer.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Rallenreiher.jpg
    Rallenreiher.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 151
Outstanding work 'spizaetos'.

I remember seeing your work for the first time in Wildscape magazine some time ago. Your Bonelli's Eagle appeared on the same issue as my yellowhammer.

Great to have you here on BF, I hope you'll share some more of your excellent work with us.

Woody

Woody said:
Outstanding work 'spizaetos'.

I remember seeing your work for the first time in Wildscape magazine some time ago. Your Bonelli's Eagle appeared on the same issue as my yellowhammer.

Great to have you here on BF, I hope you'll share some more of your excellent work with us.

Woody
Thanks Tim!
Thank you Woody!
I really feel very flattered from your comments! I appreciate that a lot.
Tim I have no idea if that's a rare ability or hardwork, to my opinion is a compination of both, a result of lifelong painstaking studies from life.
After seeing your sketchbook pages, your opinion has a special value
to me, and motivates me to try more and more.
I appreciate in particular work from artists like you who are able to capture
a bird character in few pencil lines.
As required, you can find attached few more sketches from the same trip..
For everyone who wants to see recent mammal sketches I could suggest
a visit on my Blog:
http://dougalis-wildlifeart.blogspot.com/
Happy new year to all of you!!

Attachments

• IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Nachtreiher.imm..jpg
    Nachtreiher.imm..jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 103
  • rotfußfalke m..jpg
    rotfußfalke m..jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Rotkopfwürger m..jpg
    Rotkopfwürger m..jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 82
  • turmfalke m..jpg
    turmfalke m..jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 117
That Red Foot is exceptional. Have watched these birds in the field and you have captured the shape and jizz perfectly. Always struck me how often they hide there feet under the plumage, almost as if they are concious of there given name!!
Thanks for posting, superb fieldwork...

The earlier posted Roller is also superb...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back