• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lumix FZ18 + Macro adapter advice (1 Viewer)

I don't think these are too shabby! What is your problem with them?

No matter what you do in macro, it will give you a paper-thin depth of field. There will therefore always be out of focus areas, and on some macro shots, that helps bring out the main subject. You might be able to do better than this with a dedicated macro lens on a SLR, but even then the DOF issue still exists.

Niels

Thanks for the info.

I'm just looking for somethig to do more of the "zoom-in" in macro.

Well, it would help of course to know how much you cropped what we are looking at.

I just did a few experiments with my own FZ18, and yes, there are limits to how big you can get things in the frame. I have no experience with macro adaptor for this camera, so I cannot help you there.

Niels

Well, it would help of course to know how much you cropped what we are looking at.

I just did a few experiments with my own FZ18, and yes, there are limits to how big you can get things in the frame. I have no experience with macro adaptor for this camera, so I cannot help you there.

Niels

I agree with Niels first response,IE "Not too shabby",in fact I would say very good.

Your Pics seem to have been well Cropped,as I can see some "Noise in the Backgrounds,My FZ 28,does this also.

However,I would be quite happy with the Sharpness,and Detail As Is.

I think also,getting Closer is your only option,As I said,Very good Pics,as they are.

Regards.
John

How much telephoto reach does the FZ18 have?
if its a superzoom category you will have a huge benefit from close-up filters, the only times I take it out of my camera is when the subject is too big

The best filters are the raynox ones, I never noticed any way of IQ loss when using them
DCR150 (+4) for not-so small things like butteflies and frogs, and DCR250 (+8) for bugs, people also stack both for super close-ups but with such thin DOF that works only if you have a support like shooting in the ground

For reference, I use a canon S5 (430mm eq.) with the DCR250, the working distance at MFD is 8cm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/techuser/
everything is uncropped

Go for the Raynox dcr-250 if you do a search on Flickr there's a forum for Raynox users (some amazing shots) you do have to get VERY close with Raynox though but image quality is excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back