• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (2 Viewers)

Not too sure what's happened to the Wildlife Web Forum either.

Had an interesting exploration around Stonehaven earlier today - not an area where I've done much birding. I wandered along the coast from Cowie up to the golf course and thought it looked really good for migrants - some nice patches of willow in particular. It must get stuff, but I wonder whether it's regularly watched. I didn't see too much: two Willow Warblers, and Whitethroat, Siskin and Tree Sparrow were the best of it. Might try and get along there when the conditions are more favourable though.

Not too sure what's happened to the Wildlife Web Forum either.

Had an interesting exploration around Stonehaven earlier today - not an area where I've done much birding. I wandered along the coast from Cowie up to the golf course and thought it looked really good for migrants - some nice patches of willow in particular. It must get stuff, but I wonder whether it's regularly watched. I didn't see too much: two Willow Warblers, and Whitethroat, Siskin and Tree Sparrow were the best of it. Might try and get along there when the conditions are more favourable though.

Hi Andrew,
I've had a look around Cowie quite a few times in the autumn, with my best birds being Hobby & Pied Fly, along with Redstart, Whinchat etc, but it never seems to quite deliver in terms of passerines. The gully by the cemetery looks particularly good for eg Barred Warbler or Wryneck, or a Yellow-browed further up by the clubhouse, but has never produced more than the odd Blackcap for me. However, Nick seems to have done pretty well at Perthumie shore just to the north in the last couple of autumns, while Micky found Pallas's etc on the south side of the bay, so definitely an area with potential, but maybe Cowie's just tucked in a little too much to catch the best of it in easterlies/ NE'erlies.
Hugh.

Hi all, first time out since holiday, Sunday morning, Local area. (Late entry due to pc probs yesterday). Loch of Skene had usual Mutes, Mallards, Common Gull on the water, few Swallows about, Grey wagtail on the new breakwater. A flock of around 30 Long-tailed Tit passing the boat club, west to east. Blue, Great and Coal also around, 1 x Treecreeper, Grey Heron. A small skein of Pink-footed Goose (c20) going North to South, followed about 20 mins later by a larger skein (c50) East to West across the loch then turned south.
Red Kite east of Garlogie Dam, Wren (2), Willow Warbler, Pied Wagtail, Goldfinch, Buzzard.
Cullerlie had small flock of Mallard and couple of Wigeon (2), also 1 Coot. Red Kite again, don't know if same bird but came from different direction, neither tagged, couple more Buzzard, flock of 10 Meadow Pipit towards gas plant and around 40 Swallow on the wires. Usual suspects around, Crow, Rook, Jackdaw (2), Woodpigeon, Magpie, Blackbird, Chaffinch. All in all a pleasant morning.

Jim.

There were six very early Whoopers (all adults) at Loch of Skene this morning. A quick skim of the bird reports suggests that they're the earliest returning birds in the region since at least the 90s, and about two weeks earlier than usual. Quite a lot of Pinkfeet flying south, and singles of Pintail and Pochard (much scarcer than just a few years ago) through so far this week.

Hugh.

Hi Andrew,
I've had a look around Cowie quite a few times in the autumn, with my best birds being Hobby & Pied Fly, along with Redstart, Whinchat etc, but it never seems to quite deliver in terms of passerines. The gully by the cemetery looks particularly good for eg Barred Warbler or Wryneck, or a Yellow-browed further up by the clubhouse, but has never produced more than the odd Blackcap for me. However, Nick seems to have done pretty well at Perthumie shore just to the north in the last couple of autumns, while Micky found Pallas's etc on the south side of the bay, so definitely an area with potential, but maybe Cowie's just tucked in a little too much to catch the best of it in easterlies/ NE'erlies.
Hugh.

Interesting to read this Hugh. I'm sure that, like pretty much anywhere on the coast, Cowie must get good things from time to time but perhaps it's not quite in the best position. I also wonder if the relatively large amounts of cover nearby mean that birds soon filter inland and disappear. I'm still tempted to check when conditions improve.

Interesting to read this Hugh. I'm sure that, like pretty much anywhere on the coast, Cowie must get good things from time to time but perhaps it's not quite in the best position. I also wonder if the relatively large amounts of cover nearby mean that birds soon filter inland and disappear. I'm still tempted to check when conditions improve.

I'm sure if you persevere that you will find something good at Cowie. I had wondered too about nearby cover, but was surprised to see (on Google Earth) how few trees there are immediately on the opposite side of the road & railway line from the clubhouse - perhaps worth a check too, if accessible. The grounds of Cowie House are a more difficult prospect! I wonder how much of a factor lights are? - my Pied Fly was actually just at the back of the big layby above Cowie (where there's a drop down to the houses/ gardens). While the willow clumps above the shore further north towards the cemetery may look promising, I've never seen anything interesting in them, and have wondered whether migrants arriving at night might be drawn towards the bright lights of Cowie (or the clubhouse) instead.

Off topic slightly this but I wonder if someone could do me a favour ?

I needed to check my copy of "The Breeding Birds of North East Scotland" for data for someone and I noticed that some pages that were blank ( pages 4 - 5 inclusive). Does anyone know if this is normal or is mine a typical "Chinese Outsourced" Dud ! ? The text either side does not seem continuous either. If this is normal eg. bad proofing, are there any erratum pages available.

Thanks for any info or help,

LC

Off topic slightly this but I wonder if someone could do me a favour ?

I needed to check my copy of "The Breeding Birds of North East Scotland" for data for someone and I noticed that some pages that were blank ( pages 4 - 5 inclusive). Does anyone know if this is normal or is mine a typical "Chinese Outsourced" Dud ! ? The text either side does not seem continuous either. If this is normal eg. bad proofing, are there any erratum pages available.

Thanks for any info or help,

LC

Pages 4-5 seem normal in my copy, Linz. First words on p. 4 are '...remains an issue in interpreting the maps'.

Rigifa Pool

I had a brief stop at Rigifa Pool this afternoon.A lot of water lying and should be good for waders over the next month or two.Plenty Mallard and Teal on the water and a single Pink Foot.The field at the back of the Pool held at least 15 Curlew and at least 10 Common Snipe were seen.

At the far end of the water,there was a wader,I could not ID from looking Into the sun and also going out of sight,which If anyone see's over the weekend,I would welcome the news of what It was.

I'll be heading up to North Ronaldsay for two weeks next week with 2 mates and the way it has worked out we will be spending a night in Aberdeen whilst we wait for the Thursday 20th ferry onto Kirkwall.

We're staying in the Youth Hostel on Queen's road, so was just wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere to head out birding from here for bush bashing, seawatching etc before the ferry. We won't have a car to get far, so ideally on foot from this site or if someone is free to take us out birding that'd be great!

Also does anyone know where we could leave a car for 2 weeks avoiding parking costs?

Thanks for any help!

I'll be heading up to North Ronaldsay for two weeks next week with 2 mates and the way it has worked out we will be spending a night in Aberdeen whilst we wait for the Thursday 20th ferry onto Kirkwall.

We're staying in the Youth Hostel on Queen's road, so was just wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere to head out birding from here for bush bashing, seawatching etc before the ferry. We won't have a car to get far, so ideally on foot from this site or if someone is free to take us out birding that'd be great!

Also does anyone know where we could leave a car for 2 weeks avoiding parking costs?

Thanks for any help!

You should be able to get to fun-packed Girdle Ness fairly easily. Buses will take you there from the city centre (number 12 or 59 are best), although it's not a really long walk (maybe 30 minutes from Union Street). Be warned that you might not see much unless conditions become a bit more favourable in the next week! The Ythan Estuary and Blackdog are fairly easily doable by bus from central Aberdeen (buses to Peterhead via Newburgh for the Ythan). Any bus to Peterhead will drop you at Blackdog village and you can walk down to the beach from the main road. I guess there might still be the odd Surf Scoter around.

Not too sure about the car parking but suspect you could get away with it somewhere in Torry (Abbey Road is fairly quiet with lots of parking). From there it's easy to get to the ferry either on foot (15-20 mins) or by bus.

At the far end of the water,there was a wader,I could not ID from looking Into the sun and also going out of sight,which If anyone see's over the weekend,I would welcome the news of what It was.

I had a similar problem trying to ID a wader in that area of the pool a couple of nights ago (and a lack of scope didn't help). I have been told it was a Bar-tailed Godwit that has been there at least a week.

Sounds like it's worth checking out the fields at the back. This is something I never do, although I pass the place daily on the way to/from work.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem trying to ID a wader in that area of the pool a couple of nights ago (and a lack of scope didn't help). I have been told it was a Bar-tailed Godwit that has been there at least a week.

Sounds like it's worth checking out the fields at the back. This is something I never do, although I pass the place daily on the way to/from work.

Bar tailed Godwit It could be Mark.I did'nt have a scope and It was directly In line with the sun,so It was hard to ID.I know the pool has attracted some great birds over the years (I remember many years ago,seeing Least Sandpiper there) and Im sure the next month or so,shall pull In some more.

If I was you Mark,I would be leaving a bit earlier for work In the morning..! ;)

Not too sure about the car parking but suspect you could get away with it somewhere in Torry (Abbey Road is fairly quiet with lots of parking). From there it's easy to get to the ferry either on foot (15-20 mins) or by bus.

Torry would be Ideal for getting some birding done at Girdleness and parking your car within,as Andrew says 15 - 20 minutes walk from the Ferry Terminal.PM If you want more details.There Is a Birds Fae (from) Torry thread,to keep you up to date,on what has been seen In the area.

Last edited:
Bar tailed Godwit It could be Mark.I did'nt have a scope and It was directly In line with the sun,so It was hard to ID.I know the pool has attracted some great birds over the years (I remember many years ago,seeing Least Sandpiper there) and Im sure the next month or so,shall pull In some more.

If I was you Mark,I would be leaving a bit earlier for work In the morning..! ;)

Stopped briefly at Rigifa at on the way back from the Ythan. Light was low by the time I got there but there were two waders (presumably Bar-tailed Godwits) in the same spot as before. Goose numbers up to 3.

Getting up early is always part of the plan but it somehow never seems to happen...Spending a lot of time looking out of my bedroom window hoping for something interesting to fly past along the coast also seems to make me late for work!

Stopped briefly at Rigifa at on the way back from the Ythan. Light was low by the time I got there but there were two waders (presumably Bar-tailed Godwits) in the same spot as before. Goose numbers up to 3.

Hi guys, have popped into Rigifa twice this weekend. There's currently a couple of Black-tailed Godwits hanging around with 35 Curlew, so they might be the un-IDed waders you were talking about. Also a single juv Dunlin on one of the small pools both days and 4+ Snipe today , as well as 4 Pinkfeets yesterday and a posse of 20 odd Teal.

The main pool is currently pretty high, but the small pools round about it are looking great for something better at the moment. Hopefully it will produce something good over the coming few weeks.

Joseph

Last edited:
Had a look around the Ythan this morning. Kind of okay for waders, with good numbers of juvenile Knot, Sanderling and Bar-tailed Godwit and one Ruff. Three juvenile Curlew Sandpipers gave nice views around Inch Road. 47 Canada Geese flew in, presumably on moult migration. I also saw my first Pink-footed Geese of the autumn going over. Stack of Guillemots on the lower part of the estuary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back