• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (4 Viewers)

Female, got some good photos of it, any pointers on how I post ?

Under the quick reply box there is a button that says 'Go Advanced'. That takes you to the advanced reply box, under which there are additional options, including a 'Manage Attachments' button. That allows you to browse for images to upload. Note that there are size limits for jpg files (1600x1200 and less than 493kB).

Welcome to birdforum by the way!

I had a productive visit to Strathbeg today. A good selection of the usual species were on display along with 5 White Wagtails in front of the visitor centre and another 6 on the low ground, visible from the Tower Pool Hide. Shortly after arriving at the hide, four Cranes dropped into the low ground and stood there for a couple of minutes, calling loudly. They then took off again, did a couple of circuits of the reserve (including a flypast about 100 metres in front of the hide), before heading inland to the west. Great stuff!

Apparently there has been a hen capercaillie wandering around the middle of Ballater today too, although sadly it looks not very healthy at all.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/media/set/?set=a.10151561010316380.1073741830.511736379&type=1

It has been taken back up into the forest in Glen Muick, although I doubt it will last long.

I have since been told that this type of behaviour is indicative of a hen caper that can't find a mate, rather than it being ill. From a conservation viewpoint, I suppose that is almost as bad as it being on its last legs.

Under the quick reply box there is a button that says 'Go Advanced'. That takes you to the advanced reply box, under which there are additional options, including a 'Manage Attachments' button. That allows you to browse for images to upload. Note that there are size limits for jpg files (1600x1200 and less than 493kB).

Welcome to birdforum by the way!

Thanks for the welcome!

I am such a dummy, I can see the post reply and quote boxes but no quick reply !

HEEEELP :) Got a pic ready to post...

Had a similar experience on Sunday with this bird. Extraordinary and unforgettable (and great for the boys) but also rather sad that she is unable to find a lek and seeks out human company instead.
Location is given earlier in the thread.
We met Docmartin's wife and daughter - a small world since the birding friend we were with had worked with Docmartin in Cambridge when he was a PhD student and Docmartin was an undergraduate project student ...

Rob

Had a similar experience on Sunday with this bird. Extraordinary and unforgettable (and great for the boys) but also rather sad that she is unable to find a lek and seeks out human company instead.

It is a very sad state of affairs. Apart from this bird at Bennachie, there was the one at Ballater I referred to a few posts ago and also one at Linn of Dee: all females showing the same behaviour. This suggests they are now finding it very difficult to find lekking males. The lek on Deeside that I have monitored since 2004 had 8 males in 2006, but this year there was only one male, which wasn't even displaying but flew out of a tree.

The only glimmer of hope is that this year's April warming index (a key determinant of capercaillie productivity) was the best we have seen since the 1980s. If there is reasonably dry and warmish weather towards the end of this month and through the first half of June, there is the potential for very good breeding productivity, but only if the hens have been mated. It may be that the population has already dropped to the critically low level that means extinction is inevitable in Aberdeenshire. I'll have to change my usename :(

It is a very sad state of affairs. Apart from this bird at Bennachie, there was the one at Ballater I referred to a few posts ago and also one at Linn of Dee: all females showing the same behaviour. This suggests they are now finding it very difficult to find lekking males. The lek on Deeside that I have monitored since 2004 had 8 males in 2006, but this year there was only one male, which wasn't even displaying but flew out of a tree.

The only glimmer of hope is that this year's April warming index (a key determinant of capercaillie productivity) was the best we have seen since the 1980s. If there is reasonably dry and warmish weather towards the end of this month and through the first half of June, there is the potential for very good breeding productivity, but only if the hens have been mated. It may be that the population has already dropped to the critically low level that means extinction is inevitable in Aberdeenshire. I'll have to change my usename :(

Very sad news Paul.

Has anyone considered ..... Well the use of a captive male and a turkey-baster?

Maybe a stupid idea leagally and practially but desperate times and all that.

Ian

Rigifa Pool

Wood Sandpiper on Rigifa Pool this evening. I have attached a couple of badly digiscoped images for anyone who wants some amusement...

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 42
went up to Cruden Bay after work and saw the Subalpine Warbler in the same place it was reported from at lunchtime....lovely bird, very mobile though.
then stopped off at the Ythan Estuary and had superb views of the King Eider, Little Gull and Little Tern before heading back down the road to home.

Attachments

• king eider 010.jpg
    king eider 010.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 64
  • king eider 044.jpg
    king eider 044.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 57
Had a quick walk down the Loch of Skene last night, light not great but there was two Whooper Swan on the water, West end, being quite vocal and of course when I got the lens on them both one went in to sleep mode. The 'resident' Whooper with the damaged wing I got on the way back, in the same area so it may be one of them but the damaged wing doesn't stand out so much in the first two photos. Also a flock of 60+ Swift over the East end along with Sedge Warbler, 2 Tern, unidentified, Sand Martins, and the usual Tits etc.
Jim.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread