• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More from Tanzania (1 Viewer)

Billy Dog

I'd be grateful for help with the following, all from about ten days ago in the Serengeti (4 ane 5), and Ngorongoro (2) and Tarangire (2 and 3) areas.

1. Waller's or Red-winged Starling? The tail seems too long for Waller's but the eye is red.

2.1 I initially thought was Rosy-breasted Longlaw, but I now wonder if it was Pangani's, even though my field guide suggests it doesn't get as far as Ngorongoro.

3. Is this African Scops Owl?

4. Hartlaub's Bustard?

5. Rufous-naped Lark?

Attachments

• Starling sp (2).jpg
    Starling sp (2).jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Longclaw sp (4).jpg
    Longclaw sp (4).jpg
    222 KB · Views: 88
  • African Scops-Owl (4).jpg
    African Scops-Owl (4).jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Bustard sp (4).jpg
    Bustard sp (4).jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Rufous-naped Lark.jpg
    Rufous-naped Lark.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 86
#1 is Fork-tailed Drongo (moulting: old "brown" flight feathers and growing tail feathers): posture is also different from the starlings, more vertical with "less visible leg".

All correct but the Bustard which is Black-bellied
Tom, tu ne penses pas que c'est plutôt une "Hartlaub" ?
Le patron de tête correspond mieux à cette espèce, en imaginant que le noir n'est pas encore nettement exprimé. Le blanc du côté de la tête est plutôt de type Hartlaub. L'arrière du haut du cou est gris,...
Je pense que tu lis sans pb le français ;)
Amicalement

Salut Jean
Je pense que la joue blanche et l'arrière du coup gris ne sont pas des critères très fiables, je recherche surtout les bords blancs des plumes du manteau qui donnent des pointes de flêches très caractéristiques couplées à des centres foncés réduits. Ici aucun 'spike' et des centres noirs très larges. Les tertiaires sont à peine visibles (barrées chez le Black-bellied et uniforme chez le Hartlaub.
I think the white 'thumb' in the face and he colour of the back of the neck are no good features to look for. Hartlaub should show nice white spikes on upperparts (white margins) combined with reduced dark centers. Tertials are hatdly visible (barred in Black-bellied, unifom in Hartlaub)

I hope you saw my english text below

Ok, now I've taken the trouble to look at a few images I finally see what I think is meant by these spikes! Reckon you'd need to be quite close in the field to assess that feature though? Maybe the tertial differences you mention would stand out more at a distance?? That feature's not mentioned in the East Africa field guide. :smoke:

Hartlaub should show nice white spikes on upperparts (white margins) combined with reduced dark centers. Tertials are hatdly visible (barred in Black-bellied, unifom in Hartlaub)

Tom, I hope you do not mind I copied the above into the Opus page for Hartlaub's

Niels

To say that the tertials are uniform in Hartlaub's, must be a slight exaggeration, but I think this link clearly shows the barred ones in Black-bellied.
https://kitundu.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/bustard.jpg
This pic also shows the extensive dark centres to upper mantle feathers, which Tib78 taught me in another post.

Further, and also according to Tib78, spotted crown is a good pointer for Hartlaub's - but I don't know if this goes for both sexes and all plumages?

Lika Larry I'm interested in the Hartlaub's vs Black-bellied identification factors.
This link shows "white spikes" and the not barred tertials quite well
http://www.pbase.com/image/115997888

Am I getting this right now?

All the best

Joakim

To say that the tertials are uniform in Hartlaub's, must be a slight exaggeration, but I think this link clearly shows the barred ones in Black-bellied.

1. Well yes, they are not boldly barred in Hartlaub's
2. Yes, the link shows all this quite nicely, for even better views of the tertials the bird has to drop slightly the wings
3. YES, we all learned this from thibaut aka tib78

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back