• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corvids and Golf Balls (1 Viewer)

Nancy

We have a thread going here in Australia about Ravens stealing Golf Balls and dropping them from considerable heights onto roads or peoples heads. Other Corvids, such as Torresian Crow and other crows, have been accused of doing the same thing. They do not discriminate between colours taking orange as frequently as white balls. One fellow described making a few dollars out of this when he used to work as a caddy, he found a roost where the birds tended to drop the balls and used to collect them and sell them back to the golfers. I don't know if he is a millionaire yet but he should be!
Has similiar behaviour been reported in UK or USA and if so have the golfing fraternity found a way to combat the problem.
Looking forward to hearing some answers.

My view of golf, and it's not an original one, is that its' a good walk ruined. So I cannot comment whether UK golfers have suffered from Corvid trouble. However, I understand some Corvid species drop nuts from high height in order to crack the shell. Perhaps your crows are mistaking golf balls for nuts when really it's the players who are!

Dave Carr

I think they may mistake them for eggs, which they normally steal from any birds nest, but even here in this Land of Oposites we do not have any birds that lay orange eggs. Not even the Orange-footed Scrub-Fowl! I just think thay are vindictive creatures and want to get back at us humans for demoishing so much of their native habitat.
I tend to agree with you about golf spoiling a good walk until that rare occasion when I come in with a good score and then there is 'No better way to spend a rainy Day". (except maybee seeing some really fantastic birds).

phyllosc said:
Perhaps your crows are mistaking golf balls for nuts when really it's the players who are!

But if they drop them on the players' heads, then surely they do recognise this fact?

Yes, it does happen in Britain as well, I've read of both Carrion Crows and Ravens liberating golf balls from their owners

Michael

I have witnessed this first hand.I live next door to a public golf course and frequently watch the birds around the area.
I have witnessed this behaviour only once so far.
I observed a Carrion Crow without the need for bins, rolling what was obviously a golf ball.I watched this in amusement with my wife for awhile.It then took the ball in its beak and flew a short distance into a group of trees about ten feet away .
This totally amazed me as the ball seemed far to big for its beak,but my eyes did not decieve.
Another form of learned behaviour I have witnessed on this golf course is the grabbing of sqiurrels tails by the crows to force them to drop scraps they have scavenged from the rubbish bins.Usually one of the birds will pull on the tail of the rodent whilst the other stands a small distance away ready to fly in and grab the the stolen treat..
A friend of mine has got some pictures of this behaviour and as soon as I can contact him I will try and get some copies to post on here.
Kelvin

WOUNDSINGER, that is facinating information about the crows and squirrels. I wonder if the crows share the food taken from the squirrel. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Nancy

Nancy.The crows I have witnessed do this seemingly do not end up sharing as such.Usually a little tussle ensues with one of them getting the prize(If the prize is small enough the bird which stole it usaully gets it down fast.)
It seems wierd to me that the bird grabbing the sqiurrels tail to force the drop is doing it seemingly knowing that its either going to loose the food or have to scuffle for it.
Can anyone provide me with an explaination?

I think that Corvids on the whole are more social than given credit for and even if it is at the expense of another bird, they do it just for the hell of it, just for being with their peers as it were. They also have a driving curiosity which goes a long way too.

Last edited:
Woundsinger,
Corvids are probably like us humans and would probably prefer one of their own species get the prize than have an 'inferior species' have it. We wouldn't feed nuts to birds if our kids were starving would we? And we would band together to take food from other creatures if we needed to, and then scrap over who should get the biggest bit. So I guess it is the survival of the fittest all the way!

Nancy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back