• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mountain Bluebird in the East? (1 Viewer)

simismom

My interest in wild birds peaked when we moved to a mountaintop overlooking the Delaware River across the border from New Jersey in Pennsylvania. My feeders are right outside my office under a beautiful Japanese Cherry tree, and after 5 years I still marvel at all the species that perch and feed all year long, providing a respite from my work schedule.

However, for the first time I saw what I identified as a Mountain Bluebird, actually two males, with spectacular coloring from head to breast. They took turns at the feeder for quite a long time. I cellphoned to my husband (a photographer) downstairs and told him to quickly bring his camera in order to capture the beauty of this bird when another of equally lovely coloring flew to a nearby branch.

According to my books these bluebirds are usually found in western states. What a wonderful surprise this morning; I'll take it as a sign of good luck!

Anew joiner,

gerri

Hi Gerri and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

Pretty area you live in. I know it well.

Hello Gerri,
And another welcome to the Birdforum.

Your thread title has a question mark so I'm thinking you may have some doubt about the ID. With this in mind, sighting a Mountain Bluebird in your area would definitely be a sign of good luck as that would be a really out of range sighting, though possible. The only other all blue bird that comes to mind and is resident in your area would be a male Indigo Bunting. Have you ruled this one out? Also, if your husband managed a photo, the experts on our Bird Identification subforum would love to help out with or confirm the ID - just post the photo and question.

Looking forward to hearing more about the birds visiting your property.

I think you're right!

Dave, we just looked in our book and as there's no white on the breast (which first made me think it might be something else) it probably is an indigo. The attached is not quite as "turquoise" as another I saw, and my husband shot this one through a window.

Thanks,

gerri

Attachments

• Blue Bird 1crop  002.jpeg
    Blue Bird 1crop 002.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 59
Is it a Finch species?

If this is indeed a species of finch, I wonder why it didn't go for the finch food with thistle. It (or one of them) has come back a number of times today to feed on the regular seed mix.

gerri

If this is indeed a species of finch, I wonder why it didn't go for the finch food with thistle. It (or one of them) has come back a number of times today to feed on the regular seed mix.

gerri

gerri,
Nice photo and you're right with your Indigo Bunting ID. A beautiful male. I can't really explain their feed preference but I can say they do enjoy quite a varied diet including grasshoppers, beetles, aphids, flies, thistle, small grains, and more.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back