• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier EDs 10x (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

I'm looking into getting a pair of lightweight, "affordable" 10x binoculars. Ideally, I'd like a 10x36 binocular (to keep weight low but field of view as good as possible). I've read some positive reviews on the Hawke Frontier ED series. Is the ED version of the Frontier that much better than the phase corrected version, please? Sherwood optics have the ED (10x36) at £215 and the phase corrected (10x32) at £110 (http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/hawke_sport_optics/hawke_binoculars_fs.htm).

Alternatively, are there better options that I should look into, please, for less than £250?

Many thanks
Hobbes

I have had every derivitive of the Frontier ED's and many more fom other manufacturers including Svaro. IMO these represent incredible value (especially at Sherwoods prices) and optical performance that matches the big boys. I can't see any better value anywhere in the UK. I bought a pair of 10 x 43 off Sherwoods two weeks ago, also look in their used section, having seen them I can honestly say they were mint condition.

I have had every derivitive of the Frontier ED's and many more fom other manufacturers including Svaro. IMO these represent incredible value (especially at Sherwoods prices) and optical performance that matches the big boys. I can't see any better value anywhere in the UK. I bought a pair of 10 x 43 off Sherwoods two weeks ago, also look in their used section, having seen them I can honestly say they were mint condition.

Great endorsement! Many thanks indeed. The other make I was looking at was Vortex (http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/vortex_binoculars/vortex_binoculars_fs.htm). Their "Fury" and "Crossfire" 10x32 models are 100-200g lighter (which is very tempting). The fullsize "Viper" (10x42) is tempting because even that is lighter than the Hawke Frontiers but it is a little pricier. Have you had any experience with these?
Thanks
Hobbes

The Frontier ED is very popular. One I rather liked at a lower price point was the Helios Aero ED which can be found at about the £160 mark. It's rather more compact than the Hawke which, and has a slightly narrower field of view.

David

The Frontier ED is very popular. One I rather liked at a lower price point was the Helios Aero ED which can be found at about the £160 mark. It's rather more compact than the Hawke which, and has a slightly narrower field of view.

David

Thanks, David. I've just read your review on the Helios Aero ED 8x42. It certainly sounds promising. I'd prefer a more compact binocular - I'm not very 'big and strong', lol.
Thanks
Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back