• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Dove flew the coop (1 Viewer)

jp2021

Hey everyone, I have a question about a bird who recently took up residence in my friends apartment window in Worcester, MA. The mourning dove (I'm pretty sure) who we aptly named Franklin Roosevelt, made its nest in one of the upper window frames and stayed there for several days.

When I went to check on Franklin a couple days ago there was no trace of him or the nest left at all and we were a little disappointed. You guys think he got nabbed by a hawk or something? or perhaps he got fed up with living in a college apartment window? It just seemed peculiar because there was literally no trace left of anything. I checked the ground below in case the wind may have had anything to do with it and it was empty. What are you guys' thoughts?

Here is a picture of Franklin

Attachments

• franklin roosevelt.JPG
    franklin roosevelt.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 45
One possibility, since the nest itself is gone, is that the parents "decided" to nest elsewhere & recycled the old nesting materials.

If there were eggs or young in the nest just before it disappeared, predation would be a possibility, but I gather from the wording of your post that the nest was only a few days old so was probably empty.

Here's a short thread on a somewhat analogous case: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=167744

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back