• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Swift binocular purpose chart (1 Viewer)

Bencw

I found this chart quite interesting, but would have to disagree with some of the recommendations, for example they have 20x50 as excellent for horse racing and 8x30 as only good, there is no way I would advise lugging an 20x50 to the races or hiking for that matter. I think they needed an extra category of D - for not recommended ?

Attachments

• SWIFT-BINO-CHOICES.JPG
    SWIFT-BINO-CHOICES.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 370
. Strangely enough, higher power binoculars are used for horseracing to look at the far side of the circuit.
Some friends use 15×50s.

I understand that image stabilised 20×60s luxury binoculars were also used for just this purpose.

I suppose it might help those who need to know what is happening on the far side of the circuit.
Maybe they use something solid to stabilise regular binoculars.

Additionally, 20×50 binoculars are actually very good for some astronomy.
They show much fainter stars than a 10 x 50 and when younger I had no problem holding the 20×50 steady.
The only proviso is that they should be of good optical quality and the Japanese ones usually were.

The Track Announcer at Belmont Park in NY uses 15 x or 18 x 50 Canon IS binoculars. The New York Post had an article on him a couple of years ago and the picture that accompanied it, overlooking the track from his work location, showed 2 Canon IS binoculars--either 15x or 18x; one he was wearing, the other was on a shelf within reaching distance.

Bob

The Track Announcer at Belmont Park in NY uses 15 x or 18 x 50 Canon IS binoculars.
Bob
Yep, take the point that a commentator would want high magnification, they do use high x in the UK, on a mount to hold steady, but also have a companion watching the TV monitor too. IS makes sense. As a spectator I find my victory 8x32 perfect,any higher and I would just get too much shake, but often I just take a small Nikon 8x25 in my pocket, much easier than lugging a 20x50 around all day on and off trains etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back