• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows 8 (1 Viewer)

Cashie

Hello folks
United Kingdom
Has anyone got windows 8 yet? What are your thoughts on it?

Im finding it a big shift from any of the other versions. :-C

For the first time in a long while, Microsoft made less profit than Apple - Why windows 8 when we have just had 7, so that MS OS aficionados will buy it.

Am on the fence on 8 as I find 7 a more stable os than Vista (MS seem to have a pattern on this, good OS followed by bad OS followed by ####) ie 3, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8.

Well the lads and I at work are IT tech's, and I have never heard so much bad language while they were trying it out.

To be honest I dont know how it got past quality, it is more for touch screen than the traditional mouse method IMO.

For the first time in a long while, Microsoft made less profit than Apple - Why windows 8 when we have just had 7, so that MS OS aficionados will buy it.

Am on the fence on 8 as I find 7 a more stable os than Vista (MS seem to have a pattern on this, good OS followed by bad OS followed by ####) ie 3, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8.

Believe it or not, Windows 7 was released over 3 years ago.
Some previous Microsoft os's only lasted 2 years before being replaced. But more importantly, the whole game is changing fast to tablets and mobile phones.
Windows 8 with it's tablet compatability is trying to keep up I suppose.

Apple and Linux are far more advanced than Microsoft in the big picture of desktop, phone and tablet at the moment.

Everyone seems to be holding onto Windows 7 until someone they know has taken the plunge to Windows 8! the good OS / bad OS sequence is nagging everyone!

We ran some early beta versions of Windows 8 when they became available earlier this year and when it released we upgraded a couple of boxes here at my office. Absolutely no issues whatsoever yet, all of our software runs fine on Windows 8.

I have Windows 8 installed on my laptop (m18x), and also ran beta versions of it on there as well as I'm a technet subscriber. It runs well (I'd expect it to given the spec), and all the apps I've triued run OK as well. I'm not a fan of the new front end that greets you at startup though and feel that is better suited to tablets, and would be surprised if it's not been designed with tablets / touch screen PCs in mind.

This is the first time in years I haven't moved my main PC over to the new version of Windows at release but I've decided to stick to Windows 7 on my desktop as I remain unconvinced by Windows 8 so far.

This is not a scientific test! But I was in PC world and noticed all their laptops with windows 8 installed.. I went up to one, and crashed it within 4 clicks!

I went into internet explorer fine, eventually figured out how to get back to the start menu (hit the windows button on the keyboard). At this point I was quite taken with the windows rotating on and off the screen thinking "this is going to be slick"!. Then I clicked on the "system information" box... and BANG! I got a fatal error.

I'm sure I was just unlucky, but that certainly put me off!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back