• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few basic ringing questions (1 Viewer)

MTem

I have spent a bit of time on the BTO website and that has given me some answers but I have a few other questions that I'm sure an experienced ringer on here will be able to address.

I am fortunate to live in a detached country house with fields/woods around, and my several nest boxes (for tits mainly) are used every year. Consequently I have a tit flock of circa 50 around the house at this time of year, and I regularly patrol the surrounding fields/woods when walking the dog. I have for some time wondered if I could do some sort of a survey of the local dispersal/returning to breed/life-span of the youngsters. All I need is an appropriate mechanism to mark the young birds just before they fledge. It would seem simple one ring/colour ringing would be best. To be clear this would not involve trapping and ringing adults, just fledging young in the nest boxes.

Clearly I don't want to do anything illegal or inappropriate.

What training/certificates/licence would this require? Is it a daft idea best forgotten?

I am retired with both time and resources, and am considering acquiring a ringing qualification anyway.

You would need to qualify as a ringer, any ringing without license would be illegal.

After completing trainee status, I believe you can get restricted license for special purpose (eg pullus), and though I suppose quicker than the standard years of training, it still wouldn't be quick. I might be out of date with this now.

For your interest of tracking, have you considered finding a local ringer and seeing if he would be prepared to ring your birds in the nest boxes - this would be a simple solution, no?

You would need to qualify as a ringer, any ringing without license would be illegal.

After completing trainee status, I believe you can get restricted license for special purpose (eg pullus), and though I suppose quicker than the standard years of training, it still wouldn't be quick. I might be out of date with this now.

For your interest of tracking, have you considered finding a local ringer and seeing if he would be prepared to ring your birds in the nest boxes - this would be a simple solution, no?

As Jos says but in addition you'd need to register a colour ringing project.

Thanks Jos/Phil

The idea of asking someone local to do the ringing is a good one. Might count as training as well.
Registering sounds like it might another tricky stage .... any idea how that works? Are the BTO the UK coordinators?

Mick

You say you've spent some time on the BTO website but I'd recommend you get in touch with them, probably via your regional rep (the website should tell you who that is). They are very encouraging on all forms of "amateur science", which sounds like what you would like to do.

Thanks Dave,

Have contacted a local ringer for training and advice as you suggest. I found a useful 'Find a Trainer' option on the BTO site that I had missed first time around. Will see where that takes me.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back