• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Views on zeiss conquest 10×25 T* (1 Viewer)

Just wondered if anyone can give me advice on these bins..they seem reasonable price..also looking at 10×25 leica ultravids.

Compared to the 10x25 Ultravid, which is a solid jewel of engineering, they are much inferior. The optics are not as good (contrast, edge correction), eye relief though specced the same is not as good, inferior ergonomics: the double hinge is fiddly because it lacks the positive stops of the Ultravid, hinge tension lower than in Ultravid, doesn't allow easy wrap-around grip because of hinge design, focus position and operation is awkward, close focus is much inferior, not designed to take a proper neck strap, feels like flimsy glued-together cheap plastic with awkward to use fold down eyecups if that matters. They are my least favorite Zeiss bin, can you tell?

--AP

Compared to the 10x25 Ultravid, which is a solid jewel of engineering, they are much inferior. The optics are not as good (contrast, edge correction), eye relief though specced the same is not as good, inferior ergonomics: the double hinge is fiddly because it lacks the positive stops of the Ultravid, hinge tension lower than in Ultravid, doesn't allow easy wrap-around grip because of hinge design, focus position and operation is awkward, close focus is much inferior, not designed to take a proper neck strap, feels like flimsy glued-together cheap plastic with awkward to use fold down eyecups if that matters. They are my least favorite Zeiss bin, can you tell?

--AP

Sounds like a winner to me!:t:

AP pretty much said it all, so I will just add that if the Nikon Premier HG is around the same price as the Zeiss (as it is here in the US), then you would most likely be happier with the purchase of the Nikon.

OTOH, the Ultravid is a small marvel, and is well worth the extra money. And if you get the Leica, you can sleep well, knowing that you purchased the best 10x25 on the market.

Well, at least until the new Swaro comes out.

Maybe......

Don't ignore the Zeiss Victory Compacts. Their assymetric design and single hinge mean they handle quite differently to those you are considering. Give them a try.

You may find the focus wheel a bit stiff at first, I did, but it has eased off beautifully on mine so don't let this put you off.

Lee

Don't ignore the Zeiss Victory Compacts...

Yes, the Victory is very good (totally different from the Conquest), and is my second favorite after the Ultravid. Optically the Ultravid and Victory are about the same in overall quality, but I like the Ultravid ergonomics more.

--AP

No doubt the mini Victorys are well regarded, but not by me. I had a new pair last year, for about a week, and sold them. The focus action was poor, as in small wheel with too much stiction. There was something about the eye ups as well that bothered me, though I'm now at a loss to remember what.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back