• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bean Geese, Taiga or Tundra... (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Picked up these two Bean geese yesterday north of Stockholm in the company of the gathering Greylags there.
If my memory serves me right these are Fabilis or Taiga race birds?? Quite large with extensive orange on the bill.

Attachments

• 111Bean.jpg
    111Bean.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 111Beann Goose.jpg
    111Beann Goose.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
buzzard12 said:
Picked up these twoo Bean geese yesterday north of Stockholm in the company of the gathering Greylags there.
If my memory serves me right these are Fabilis or Taiga race birds?? Quite large with extensive orange on the bill.

Yep...Taiga Beans.

Den

In the east of the Netherlands, we had in the eighties lots of Taiga's but they get replaces by thousands of Tundra's; hardly any Taiga's left.

These have to be Taigas, I feel. In fact they are 'absolutely fabalis' (sorry!).

Tundras should not be the same size as Greylags. Also Taiga has a longer neck, the forehead is more sloping and the body is longer behind the legs than Tundra which gives Taiga a 'John Wayne' swagger when they walk.

Tundra is similar in size and proportions to Pink Footed Goose.

Note that the bill pattern is variable between both species of Bean Goose.

Hopefully these links will add to the very useful links that Hannu has provided already.

http://www.kentos.org.uk/Photographs/04TaigaBeanTL.htm

http://www.kentos.org.uk/Photographs/03TaigaBeanGooseDunge.htm

Real Grosser on my list said:
These have to be Taigas, I feel. In fact they are 'absolutely fabalis' (sorry!).

No problem, these are interesting, even for their manure.

(They fertilize our peatbog which is nt so much wanted.)

gerdwichers8 said:
No problem, these are interesting, even for their manure.

(They fertilize our peatbog which is nt so much wanted.)

I think the joke "absolutely fabalis" got lost a bit in translation gerdwichers8, there is an English TV comedy programme called "absolutely fabulous".... :-O anyway... another pointer to aid id is the type of fields that the birds are in. Taiga (fabalis) seem to prefer rough pasture whereas Tundra (rossicus) are often in arable (crops etc) and are frequently with Mute Swan too. Obviously this is not a hard and fast rule but certainly all of the birds I have seen in Kent seem to stick to it. Doesn't help with birds flying over though does it... 8-P

I am a bit puzzled by the second Greylag in a row in the second pic.
The bird shows a black nail and is in the middle of the two others a lot smaller.

gerdwichers8 said:
I am a bit puzzled by the second Greylag in a row in the second pic.
The bird shows a black nail and is in the middle of the two others a lot smaller.

That would be a juvvy Greylag.

Menzie said:
That would be a juvvy Greylag.

Recent Juv, a few pairs breed at Angarn. The rest have just arrived after the post breeding moult.

thanks for the links Hannu...

Wonder where these birds originated....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back