• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID Stockholm (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

A rather interesting 2nd calender Gull from a couple of hours ago, surely a Caspian Gull. Remarkably long billed, slim and structurally struck me as a Caspian. Dark tertials, grey mantle and scapulars with dark shafts and anchor marks add to suite of features supporting Caspian? A very rare bird in late winter in Stockholm, not sure if there are any previous records in Feb/March. Rather high chested posture on the deck. Tail pattern and upperwing pattern, including innner primaries on view in shot #3. Opinions on this bird welcome..

Attachments

• G1.jpg
    G1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 164
  • G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 159
  • g f1.jpg
    g f1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Hi Alan.

The fresh coverts, the inner primary pattern and some retained lower scapulars combined with + somehow structure makes it look like a Herring, perhaps with some Caspian genes but more likely a pure Herring.

JanJ

Thanks guys, a really confusing bird. A remarkable bill for a Herring Gull, had wondered about this bird, the greater coverts seemed wrong to my eyes and would of expected a whiter head...

hi alan,

pure herring gull for me also. scapular pattern, broad white fringes in greater coverts, tail band also wrong for caspian but matches the slim ones i saw in sweden (gotland), nor are the marks on rectrices and uppertail coverts. fresh plumage, as mentioned.
bill is longer than usual, such birds can trick you...

cheers,

I agree that it's not a pure Caspian but don't you all think that you would have given this bird a second look? If not, check the tertials and try to rememeber if you ever did see a 100% pure Herring with that pattern on it's tertials.

groeten, pim wolf

sure i would, pim. it is slim line like a female caspian but plumage is all off - except for the tertials which actually are sort of 'michahellis-type' (with white reaching GC though), but i have seen pics of eastern baltic HG (finland) with such tertials. bill is slim (also in height but i guess this is due to general impression of the bird being underfed. i don't say i exclude any caspian gene in it - this would be really arrogant considering the large amount of hybridization with backcrosses and so on, there's just nothing really obvious caspian-like in it (unlike in e.g. the structurally totally wrong bird jörgen bernsmo posted here: http://www.talk.gull-research.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=507).

cheers

Hi guys, well I fully deserved that clip round the ear, serves me right for singeling out this one character of the bird in my earlier message. Still, when I look at all those small anomalies combined (bill, structure, tail) it just does not add up to a pure Herring Gull. I agree that the link that Jan provided does show a Herring Gull with tertials similar to the ones on this bird. I am also sure that we can all find pics of a clear Herring Gull with a tailband somewhat similar but it's the combination of characters that counts isn't it? I truly do not like to be in the "hybrid-junta" but every so often along comes a bird that gives out so many signals that you cannot help but wonder what their parents were (and yes, we are still talking about gulls...).

cheers, pim

Last edited:
Hello Pim.

My impression when first seeing this gull was in fact somewhere around Caspian Gull.
Looking closer I saw Herring as well, which led me to consider a possible hybrid between the two. That´s why I put it in the identification section on ORG forum. Looking even closer, I thought it belonged in the Herring section, which also perhaps would generate more reactions from others ;)
The michahellis like tail band is can be seen in a few Herrings as well:

http://www.helsinki.fi/~rauste/juvmic/argtail/

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back