• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the most underrated bird? (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
We've had favourite birds BUT what in your opinion is the most underrated bird? The bird that deserves more attention than it normally get?

Drake Gadwall. It's normally described as a drab bird in guides but its plumage is exquisite if you give it a chance. Vote Gadwall!

E

Hi pete,

I think the Canada goose is quite under rated as it is very common, however if you ever just sit and watch them for a while they are quite nice birds, especially if there havn't been many birds of interest about, during the day. They are easy to see and arn't particulary bothered abouit you being near them which allows you to get close up views of them which is always nice.

Steven

Bali Starling

beautiful and on the verge of extinction - perhaps just single figures in the wild now. Hasn't captured the public attention - strange as it is gorgeous.

[/QUOTE]Bali Starling

beautiful and on the verge of extinction - perhaps just single figures in the wild now. Hasn't captured the public attention - strange as it is gorgeous.
What a cracking bird, is underated the right word, shouldn't it be unheard of as if i saw this i would definateley not underate it. Anyonewho would underate this bird is an idiot. Do many wild bird organisations know of it's decline as they should be doing something if they do.

Steven

CJW said:
Any and all caprimulgiform.

For anyone who is as ignorant as I am, here is The Encyclopaedia Britannica definition:

Member of the avian order (Caprimulgiformes) that comprises the soft-plumaged birds known as nightjars, nighthawks, potoos, frogmouths, and owlet frogmouths. It also includes the unique oilbird of South America.

Hi Steven

OBC has tried to do stuff for Bali Starling - given money to help set up projects but there was a raid a couple of years ago and several birds were stolen for cagebird trade. It's up to all of us - we make up the organisations trying to do something.

Hi Tim,

I wish those pathetic weasels had of got caught andhad there hands cut off.
Arn't birdlife trying to do anything to save this greta looking species.

Steven

CJW said:
Any and all caprimulgiformes.

Are they really underrated though, Chris? I thought the Nightjar I saw in June in Norfolk was the best new bird I'd seen this year. There are so many spectacular caprimulgiformes (Standard-winged Nightjar etc.) that they can't be underated perhaps "underseen."

E

How about the sparrowhawk, a perfectly-evolved little predator - 'though she be but little, she is fierce'? ;)
Seriously though, taking up Edward's idea of Gadwall, the drake dabbling ducks are all pretty stunning when you consider them, even the humble mallard, overlooked by most birdwatchers in search of something a little more unusual (myself included).

Stonechat2 said:
There seems to be a very tight line between underated and unseen, unherd etc
Great point Steven . . . a lot of the birds listed here, I'd not call 'underrated' at all! - just 'unfamiliar' or (Bali Starling) their plight not well enough publicised. I'm sure almost all birders would rate it highly, if they knew about it. And I've never heard of anyone talking nightjars down - they seem to be pretty universally highly appreciated!

An underrated bird is one that you see often, and usually don't bother to look at closely, because you see them a lot and think them 'boring', but which ARE worth looking at in reality.

Dunnock.

House Sparrow.

And I'm sure Steve Nova would say, Carrion Crow.

And, yeah, Canada Goose too, if they weren't such pests! (in Britain, at any rate)

Michael

Its a difficult one this - Pin tailed Whydah is an interesting bird - esp watching males with their very long tails trying to fly after other males & females! They are parasitic too which makes them interesting.

I am going for the Dunnock. I love its song which I hear frequently but I rarely see the bird as it is so secretive. I have had it on my bird table in the winter though.

Dunnock

Bluetail said:
I'll second Dunnock. Nominally drab, but actually fascinatingly patterned and a social life that's... well... :h?:.
Hey what's this about the Dunnocks' social life. I am very new to birding so I have missed something here!!

I started thinking about when I was watching some coot building a nest. It s the type of bird you see and then think no more of. But they can be fascinating when building a nest.

Dunnock is a good choice, the colouring is subtle and the song very pleasant.

Any of the common ducks warrant a mention but why do people get all fussed about Teal?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back