• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (14 Viewers)

Hotspur said:
Dipped the 2 Mandarin at Bank Island- gone by 1600. Bummer

There's apopulation of mandarin on the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey, James, between the Cavendish Pavilion and the Strid. There's usually a couple of them, but I've counted up to 7 birds there.

Birdguides were reporting Waxwing in Leeds today... anyone know where abouts ? [I've not got time to get to Knaresborough until at least Sunday - but could manage a quick trip out in Leeds tomorrow]

Gary14 said:
Birdguides were reporting Waxwing in Leeds today... anyone know where abouts ? [I've not got time to get to Knaresborough until at least Sunday - but could manage a quick trip out in Leeds tomorrow]

The report was near the Commercial Pub in Armley. But the Commercial is on Water Lane in Holbeck, so I'm a little confused.

Anyone see both these American Wigeon then? Were there definitely two? I was there 1410 to 1440 and I could only find the one, looking rather finer than back in December, and seemingly paired with a female Eurasian Wigeon? Both Iceland Gulls in the Wheldrake roost tonight were very pale 1st winters. Didn't see many waders today - guess they must be somewhere else in the valley.

Graham

bitterntwisted said:
Anyone see both these American Wigeon then? Were there definitely two? I was there 1410 to 1440 and I could only find the one, looking rather finer than back in December, and seemingly paired with a female Eurasian Wigeon? Both Iceland Gulls in the Wheldrake roost tonight were very pale 1st winters. Didn't see many waders today - guess they must be somewhere else in the valley.Graham

There were at least a couple of birders who observed two together today, the 2nd bird picked-up directly behind the other – finding Am Wig really is that easy if you are lucky!! Given that one was chasing a fem Wigeon today then that recalls the behaviour of the 1st-winter drake that I noted on a couple of occasions earlier in the winter. Then, a good way of picking it out was its affection towards a fem Wigeon along with several Eurasian Wigeon – they would be the only active part of the Wigeon flock, the American always leading the pack in pursuit.

I presume the waders are making use of the rapidly changing water levels away from the usual obvious watchpoints in the LDV, hence few birds at WI or NDC.

As you say the juv Iceland Gulls are quite well advanced now, appearing quite pale at distance, and perhaps posing as 2nd-year birds for the unwary. These birds, plus the adult, are presumably making use of Harewood Whin tip at Rufforth during the day.

stanacko said:
Hi,
Would any of you fellow birders give me directions to Bubwith Ings and North Duffield carrs. Many thanks in advance.
Stan.

They are at SE706367, situated between the villages of North Duffield and Bubwith, just north of the A163. It's all one big area, but from memory there is a bridge and a small car park and a hide. I'm sure if you head for that general area you'll see some parked cars and other birders.

Lawts said:
They are at SE706367, situated between the villages of North Duffield and Bubwith, just north of the A163. It's all one big area, but from memory there is a bridge and a small car park and a hide. I'm sure if you head for that general area you'll see some parked cars and other birders.

The car park to use is just west of Bubwith village before the traffic lights by the bridge over the River Derwent. Park there, cross the road by the traffic lights and head north along the floodbank for 300 yards to view the diminishing flood at SE706367. Keep below the line of the floodbank, not as three birders clad in bright red jackets did this morning and walked along the top of it and flushed the duck flock - good to see fieldcraft aint dead!!

The car park and hide referred to above are part of North Duffield Carrs and not where you can see the wigeon from.

Have these birds been clearly identified as true American Wigeon? I'm not saying they aren't but it is a tricky species if not seen well, and I understand these birds are at some distance.

I ask because I was flicking through my past records and have had a couple of birds that looked good at the time (but were distant) chalked off as hybrid/Chileo/call it what you will Wigeon at a later date.

There was the bird at Methley about the same time the White-tailed Eagle was in Holderness, and more recently the bird at Southfield Reservoir.

My sole Yorkshire record was one at Hay-a-Park a few years back, so may go for these.

Moorland birds starting to get back, had a couple of dinner break drives up to Wainstalls - Lapwing, Meadow Pipit, Skylark and Curlew all there. Also saw a Curlew flying over Brighouse on my way in to work today.

Lawts said:
Have these birds been clearly identified as true American Wigeon? I'm not saying they aren't but it is a tricky species if not seen well, and I understand these birds are at some distance.

I ask because I was flicking through my past records and have had a couple of birds that looked good at the time (but were distant) chalked off as hybrid/Chileo/call it what you will Wigeon at a later date.

There was the bird at Methley about the same time the White-tailed Eagle was in Holderness, and more recently the bird at Southfield Reservoir.

My sole Yorkshire record was one at Hay-a-Park a few years back, so may go for these.

Pics on birdguides of the first drake- it did look very good for it in the field.

Migrant News

Swallow on Pugneys CP on the 14th..the first ?

Wheatear at Whitehome res, West Yorks today

Chiffchaff and Sand Martins now widespread

Lawts said:

I went today and saw both of them. I'm no duck expert but they looked the same as the videos on BWPi, so they are going down on my Yorkshire list. Couldn't get a decent picture as I'm cr@p at hand holding the camera.

johnnymac said:
Migrant News

Swallow on Pugneys CP on the 14th..the first ?

Wheatear at Whitehome res, West Yorks today

Chiffchaff and Sand Martins now widespread

Looking at next week's weather forecast they may all be in for a shock. Saying that I'm amazed every year how early Sand Martins arrive - I just don't know what they find to eat.

Quick visit to Loshpotts this evening. Fairly quiet for birds but I saw my first ever weasel. I've had stoat before in Britain but never weasel - noticeably paler brown above, not as rich brown, and not contrasting as much with white underparts. Also no black tip to tail. Quite big though - I haven't checked the sizes, but from my memory of stoat I wouldn't say there is much in it.

Andy it was just by the gate where we park.

Lawts said:
Quick visit to Loshpotts this evening. Fairly quiet for birds but I saw my first ever weasel. I've had stoat before in Britain but never weasel - noticeably paler brown above, not as rich brown, and not contrasting as much with white underparts. Also no black tip to tail. Quite big though - I haven't checked the sizes, but from my memory of stoat I wouldn't say there is much in it.

Andy it was just by the gate where we park.

Cheers Steve, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it!

I had a brief look for the Waxwing this evening but the traffic was so busy i didn't get there until 17:30 and there was no sign in the 5 minutes i was there and i couldn't afford any more time than that. I imagine they might have gone off to roost by then as it was getting pretty cold! There is still plenty of sorbus berries etc so it might be worth looking tomorrow!

I might go and look at/for the two American Wigeons tomorrow too.

Cheers

ANDY

White Stork, Wold Newton

I've been doing some reasearch on the White Stork at Wold Newton (Yellow right PCC) as i'm fed up of seeing the Harewood birds, it appears that this bird is 'wild' and is the same bird that was present in Teesmouth late last year... the following is from their site...

'White Stork still at Newsham Grange at 8am this morning in the 'front garden'. The bird is wearing a yellow ring on the right leg with the letters PCC. The Newsham White Stork is the same as the recent one in Nottinghamshire (28/8-8/9) which was ringed in The Netherlands (Gary Sharples)'

I might go have a look tomorrow, the next question is, are those Dutch birds wild as in from a reintroduction scheme or wild wild!!!

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: OK, after more searching, google sent me back to this thread page 13, where i hadn't checked! Seems like this bird was around Ripon area while i was out of the country in the autumn, does anyone know if it ever got accepted as wild?

Many thanks ANDY

Last edited:
Lawts said:
Looking at next week's weather forecast they may all be in for a shock. Saying that I'm amazed every year how early Sand Martins arrive - I just don't know what they find to eat.

Plenty of little swarms of midges out at the moment. But as you say, next week ain't looking so good.

Cheers,
Bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back