• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A five Eagle day! (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
Hi all,

Well, my wife and I woke-up early this morning. Gazing in our coffee around 6:00am, we decided to head for Linesville Pennsylvania to do some birding. It's about a two hour drive, so I loaded up the CD player with some Duke Ellington, and off we went. Linesville shares a fairly good size lake with Ohio called Pymatuming. On it's shores, they have a nice preserve and nature center. You can't get very close to the shore, for they want to keep it just for water birds and Bald Eagles. It seems that it worked well. They have two pairs of Bald Eagles nesting there. We spent the afternoon talking and looking through our scope's with an elderly gentleman. We managed to see two juveniles and three adults. What a great afternoon. While chatting, an Inigo Bunting seemed interested in what we were doing, and came down for a visit. Not long after, a Gray Catbird joined it. After several hours of watching the Eagles, we decided to head for the fish hatchery.

Last year, the hatchery drained one of the pools, and it left a very nice mudflat for shore birds. Unfortunately, they haven't drained it this year. There were the usual Great Blue Heron and a few Great Egrets. As I scanned the shorelines of some of the ponds, I came upon four Common Ravens. A lifer for me! We get plenty of American Crows in Cleveland, but not Ravens. I was very happy to see these guys.

We decided to wrap things up, but on the way home, right over the PA/Ohio border, I saw a sign for Conneaut Ohio. Conneaut is mudflat heaven. We figured, why not? It's so close. Off we went North, to the little town of Conneaut. We drove down to the beach and mudflat area. For anyone in the Ohio area, and thinking of going here; please be advised: The road down to the beach is ridiculous. It's just sand and potholes. GO VERY SLOW! It was worth the trip though. Lot's of Caspian Terns and Gulls. (Pics to be posted tomorrow), and another lifer. A Willet! I couldn't be happier! Anyway, the list of all the glorious birds, are listed. Thanks for letting me ramble!

Linesville/Conneutt
8/28/04
Observers: Lisa, me
--------------------------------------
259 birds in 29 species.

5 Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
5 Common Raven (Corvus corax)
1 Willet (Catoptrophorus semipalmatus)
15 American Goldfinch (Carduelis tristis)
4 American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)
2 Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapilla)
2 Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)
4 Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)
7 American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
1 Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)
6 Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)
2 Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)
1 Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea)
13 Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)
30 Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
80 Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)
4 Bonaparte's Gull (Larus philadelphia)
10 Caspian Tern (Sterna caspia)
7 Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)
5 Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
2 Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria)
4 Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)
1 Common Loon (Gavia immer)
11 Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)
3 Great Egret (Ardea alba)
13 Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)
1 Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres)
2 Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)
18 European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)

Mike

Last edited:
Sounds like a good day out. My wife and I do the same sort of thing periodically, usually on the spur of the moment. My wife isn't really a birder but if very patient and often goes on outings with me.

Mike:
I did witness your four eagle day
1-Sandy Ridge
2-Sheldons Marsh
3and4-Pickerel creek
What's your guess for a six eagle?Would two northern harriers equal one bald eagle?
Good ticks M8ty
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back