• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzard day (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
The last Sunday in August is regarded as ‘Honey Buzzard day’ (or strictly speaking ‘Bivråkens dag’) by Swedish birders. It marks the peak autumn passage of Honey Buzzards through Falsterbo, the southern tip of Sweden. I went a day early (the weather forecast for tomorrow is not so good) to witness it for myself. I got there a little late at around 11 AM, and a short rain shower soon served to dampen down the activity of both birds and birders, with many of the latter packing up at that point. I hung on and half an hour later the sun started to reassert itself. Suddenly a loose flock of around 50 birds appeared in the distance. Surely they couldn’t all be HBs ? Well, yes they were, and so were the 20 that followed them and the flock of 35 after them ! In the middle of this spectacular passage, a phonecall from Swedish birders stationed further up the headland alerted the assembled crowd to a Pallid Harrier heading our way. After a false alarm with a distant ringtail Hen Harrier, a superb juvenile Pallid showed incredibly well, quartering back and forth across the heath in front of us.

Over the course of the day I saw around 200 Honey Buzzards, although the official total is likely to be rather higher as birds kept passing overhead while I was concentrating on the Pallid Harrier, and I wandered off mid-afternoon when there were still birds passing through. I also managed around 40 Sparrowhawks, ten Common Buzzards, five Kestrels, two Marsh Harriers and one each of Hobby and Osprey. There was also a steady passage of Yellow Wagtails – probably a couple of hundred birds, and my afternoon walk produced a Wryneck and a nice selection of waders. Not a bad day !

Not a bad day Stuart!! more like WOW, to see a passage of raptors on that scale, and you say not bad, please. as he goe's green with envy.
bert.

Fifebirder said:
Nice stuff Stuart - I'd love to see such an impressive raptor passage .

Hi Andrew,

Before moving over here I spent many years working a patch in the east of Scotland - Girdleness in Aberdeen - and impressive raptor passage was certainly never a feature ! However, my last patch tick, in September 2000, was Honey Buzzard ! The East coast of Scotland does have its compensations though, it is much better for eastern vagrants and infinitely better for seabirds than here. That said, Falsterbo is a brilliant place - I don't think I've ever seen less than eight species of raptor in any one day there, and I believe the day record is eighteen species !

I haven't yet seen the official Swedish total for the Falsterbo Honey Buzzard day, but the Danes had an equivalent occasion for the first time yesterday at Hyllekrog in southern Lolland (another point where raptors are concentrated before a sea crossing), and their total was 1369 Honey Buzzards.

"Before moving over here I spent many years working a patch in the east of Scotland - Girdleness in Aberdeen - and impressive raptor passage was certainly never a feature ! However, my last patch tick, in September 2000, was Honey Buzzard !"

So it's easier than waiting for one coming in off the sea, and flying up the river Dee, then Stuart.

Regards

Malky.

buzzard festivals

StuartReeves said:
The last Sunday in August is regarded as ‘Honey Buzzard day’ (or strictly speaking ‘Bivråkens dag’) by Swedish birders. It marks the peak autumn passage of Honey Buzzards through Falsterbo, the southern tip of Sweden. I went a day early (the weather forecast for tomorrow is not so good) to witness it for myself. I got there a little late at around 11 AM, and a short rain shower soon served to dampen down the activity of both birds and birders, with many of the latter packing up at that point. I hung on and half an hour later the sun started to reassert itself. Suddenly a loose flock of around 50 birds appeared in the distance. Surely they couldn’t all be HBs ? Well, yes they were, and so were the 20 that followed them and the flock of 35 after them ! In the middle of this spectacular passage, a phonecall from Swedish birders stationed further up the headland alerted the assembled crowd to a Pallid Harrier heading our way. After a false alarm with a distant ringtail Hen Harrier, a superb juvenile Pallid showed incredibly well, quartering back and forth across the heath in front of us.

Over the course of the day I saw around 200 Honey Buzzards, although the official total is likely to be rather higher as birds kept passing overhead while I was concentrating on the Pallid Harrier, and I wandered off mid-afternoon when there were still birds passing through. I also managed around 40 Sparrowhawks, ten Common Buzzards, five Kestrels, two Marsh Harriers and one each of Hobby and Osprey. There was also a steady passage of Yellow Wagtails – probably a couple of hundred birds, and my afternoon walk produced a Wryneck and a nice selection of waders. Not a bad day !
Sounds like a fun time Stuart.We have a similar celebration in Northern Ohio for the return of the Turkey vulture on March 15that includes a large pancake breakfast as we all wait for the buzzard master to shout "Buzzard"as the first vulture soars over their summer nesting site.It really is a local joke the birding community has with the local wildlife authorities since some vultures never go south and most migrants have returned by mid Feb.
Sam

Reminds me of a day I had in Israel in april 1997..ive never witnessed such an impressive passage of raptors as on that day..an area called Daragot which is in the hills near the dead sea...birds were literally streaming over all morning..mainly steppe buzzards..but with eagles,vultures and and even storks mixed in..I eventually stopped counting..the figures in a few hours wer quite impressive
Steppe Buzzard 5000+
Long legged buzzard 50+
Steppe eagle 50+
Lesser S eagle 10
Short toed eagle 8
Egyptian vulture 15+
Black stork 15+
I think this probably rates as one of my most enjoyable ever birding days!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back