• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Books or on own????? (1 Viewer)

Definitely from a mixture of the two. Nothing beats personal experience out in the field (especially lots of it)but I found meticulous, intensive reading to be of paramount importance. Try to find the time to fit in both and you won't be disappointed. You'll soon learn quicker than you think possible. It took me about two and a half years birdwatching before I could classify myself as a fairly competent birdwatcher. I've now got four and a half years experience.
Also, it's amazing how birds in SOME text books look exactly the same when you first encounter them in the field hence making ID a doddle.

As one who is still learning after 25 years, I think that you learn from as many sources as possible: books, other people, CDs, tapes, videos...
When I first became interested there were few birders around (at least where I was). So I was very much self-taught. I can remember seeing my first pied flycatcher and being pleased when I recognised it in some very rudimentary book (probably the Observer book of British Birds). I bought a field guide (for about £2)--Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow and spent quite a bit of time studying it. I was pleased when I saw my first treecreeper that I instantly knew what it was. At a very early stage I saw a hoopoe, before I'd ever heard of it, in Cornwall--though of course it was easy to work out what it was.
I remember asking the only other birder I met at Marazion Marsh where I could see a spotted flycatcher (which I'd never seen). He kindly told me to stand by a certain gate for an hour and look at every bird I saw. Sure enough a spotted flycatcher duly appeared.
The only tip I would give is to spend long enough looking at birds, not just their plumage but their jizz and behaviour. After a while you become very familiar with most of the common birds. You'll be surprised how quickly you are impressing people as you point out a sparrowhawk flying quarter of a mile away, or a flock of lapwings that are just dots in the distance.
The other thing is that when you know the common birds you have more chance of spotting something unusual. If a wader with a flock of golden plovers looks a bit paler, or stands a bit apart, it might just be an American GP, for example.
Sea-watching is a different art, in my view. I think you have to be with experienced sea-watchers to learn how to tell a grey phalarope or a sooty shearwater flying past in a gale 400 yards out to sea. But I'm sure someone will contradict me! :bounce:
Good luck.

I've been birdwatching for 10 years but still have an awful lot to learn. I've not had much opportunity to bird with other birders but the few times I have, I've found it very beneficial. The only books I've read are my assorted field guides. They are invaluable. I think the best learning tool for me has been this web site!

pretty much self taught until fairly recently when I've been fortunate to meet some exceedingly good birders (and ornithologists dare I say) and benefit from their immense knowledge.....the stuff that's not in any books!
It was hard work for the first ten years but then it just seemed to snowball and lots of stuff came together.
I try to learn as much as I can at home and put it into practice outside. This involves a lot of sketching etc andI know that I don't do enough......

I learned a lot as a kid from my Observer Book of Birds and much later with the first Collins guide. But my knowledge took off when I found a friend who really knew his birdsong and his waders!

I think the CD-ROM Guide to British Birds is also a good help.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Tend to agree with Tim: largely self-taught from books and trial and error,but have also picked a few tips up from others in the past 5-6 years.
Spend most evenings reading bird books,listening to CD's,watching videos or checking bird sites on the net.
Also try my hand at sketching to force me to look harder at the birds,but I'm not very good at this,at least not on an artistic level!
Harry H

I think with me it was a combination of learning from books etc, trial and error on my own (probably still the main method) and from other people. Some people have had a big impact and I've suddenly found that I learnt an awful lot very quickly when I started going birding with them. That said, the same thing can happen with books. I remember when the Macmillan Guide first came out I learnt an awful lot from it because it included a lot of the details that at the time you couldn't get from other books.

For myself the main source has been other birders followed closely by books magazines and sites like this.
I am now exploring more on my own and trying to put in place the building blocks to be a more accomplished birder. I have 6 years under my belt but i expect the rest of my life will be a giant learning curve which is why i love this hobby.

Mainly through my father starting off and then the Observer's Book of British Birds for quite a while, before nowadays relying mainly on Collins and Larousse - I have an awful memory - hence the photos ;)

I was taught the names of most of the local birds when i was a small child,having lived in this village for several years,but when taking up birdwatching as a serious interest,I bought books and videos,I have the complete collection from Birdguides.I would return,look up the bird in a book,then find it on one of the videos,to do a double check.
But having said that,nothing,but nothing is comparable to being in the hide with an experienced birder,who is willing to share his knowledge and expertise.
I am rather lazy now,and find it is easier to put the question on BF esp if I have a pic of some sort.
Christine.

Hi, BP!

I'm pretty much like everyone else. I did a lot of birding alone when I started (none of my friends at the time were interested a bit in going out with me). I spent a lot of time reading guide books -- the Audubon Master Guides (3 vols) which I don't think I've EVER seen anyone mention on this forum (or anywhere else for that matter!). I don't they are very highly thought of as guides, but for a beginner, they were filled with tons of information that was new to me and I feel I learned a lot from them.

The rate of learning really jumped, however, when I started going on birding trips with the local Audubon group, usually to areas and parks quite close to home, but also on some 'bigger' day trips, like up to the Lake Michigan lakeshore, to Jasper-Pulaski, or to Crane Creek in Ohio.

When you run into an experienced birder (or go out and find one!) who is willing to share their knowledge, take advantage of it as much as you can! It's an unparalleled way to learn.

There's a pretty active Audubon chapter in your area -- I think it's the Sassafras chapter. You might get in touch with them and go on one of their excursions, which I know they have regularly. There are some incredibly knowledgeable birders on the faculty at Purdue, and I'm pretty sure they are also Sassafras members. They're folks who would be marvelous teachers, I'm sure. One fellow there even worked with David Sibley on his wonderful guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back