• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minsmere (A day at the zoo) (1 Viewer)

cjay

Today I met with Carlos who cycled 35miles to Minsmere for the day out with yours truly. Before Carlos arrived I went to Westleton Heath where I had gripping views of Dartford Warblers, Stonechats & Woodlarks. A single Tree Pipit , my first of the year was singing from a shrub & a scope full proved most rewarding. Finally couple of Nightingales were singing in Broom Covert. It was really warm so much so I went out without my long johns underneath my trousers.

Afterwards I walked along the southern part of Westleton Heath bordering a pig field, which was absent of pigs & was starting to green up. Eight Northern Wheatears were scattered here feeding amongst all the rabbits. Two Whitethroats were also seen here. As I scanned the heath further a Fox crossed a rabbit warren & two Red Deer were seen along the field edge.
On arrival at Minsmere I walked the perimeter of the car park & saw three Turtle Doves fly overhead heading northwards. There were loads of Sand Martins too with an estimate of 100 gathered around the cliff face there. From North Hide two Spotted Redshanks were seen along with various wildfowl. As I walked along the north wall I saw Bearded Tit & Reed buntings. It was at the end of the wall I met with Carlos who regaled me with sightings of Barn Owls & Yellowhammers during is cycle ride to Minsmere.

We walked on to east hide where we saw plenty of Avocets (145) on the scrape, 12 Black tailed Godwits & around ten Dunlin. From the Public Hide we scoped Two Little Egrets, Three Common Terns & Two Sandwich Terns. Up around the sluice bushes we saw a Skylark on the ground with, what looked like a Woodlark It was well hidden un the grass but it looked to have a bright supercillium, It appeared out in the open & we saw it was another Skylark. BAH!
As we walked back to the scrape we saw another Little Egret & we bypassed South Hide. In West hide it was pretty poor so we adjourned for lunch. Asparagus soup for Carlos & I had a Chedder Ploughmans.

Carlos decided to leave for his journey home so I walked down to Island Mere & around the wood. Little of note was seen but I came away with a suntan.

Colin J.
:clap:

Colin,

Well i enjoyed the read very much, and well done on the birds seen, that area and Minsmere, needs so much time to take it all in, i am off to Minsmere for a week in May and i am looking forward to seeing all the birds you mentioned, and hopefully a lot more.

A good morning out colin ... cheers.

I'd agree with John, so much of an area to cover it's certainly worthy of more than a day. Off back there myself for a weekend in a few weeks time .... maybe get the dartfords myself then as well !

I have actually been to Minsmere in 1997. It was around September and we were actually looking for a seaside town called Dunwich but we got lost and ended up at
Mensmere. The wildlife was spectacular. I remember a clay cliff or sandy cliff with
holes in it which looked like swallow nests. Also a friend who lived in Aylsham took us
to Wells-next-thesea and we saw quite a lot of goldfinches. I bought a little mensmere
pin in their souvenir shop. I still have it. Lovely place to view wildlife.

I know this is an old thread, but - the sand cliff with "swallows" was sand martins, a similar species. they were a lifer for me! it was amazing to see one feeding chicks very clearly! i saw no goldfinches there :( and had restriced time so would desperately like to go again, for longer. it is a great place for wildlife, i agree.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back