• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morph Mourning Dove (1 Viewer)

NCLady

This mourning dove was in my garden last year, and has returned with a mate.

Attachments

• morph dove 3.jpg
    morph dove 3.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 445
NCLady, I would be thrilled to have something like this return every year. Wonder if the babies will have the same pattern? Lucky you!

Very nice I was watching a segment on animal planet last night on these types of doves.around here I have a female ring neck dove that stays in my cedar tree in the back yard.

Interesting. Looks like s/he has interbred with something.

Alicia, I do not believe that it is possible to be a partial albino. I think with albino, it is an all or nothing thing. I could be wrong, would appreciate if someone else has other info on this.

Very interesting.....I feel the same as Brian.......that his parents were different species. Presumably all doves can inter breed. It is amazing that they usually find a mate of the same sort.

I thought that was a lovely picture of a cute dove, I have a pair of collared doves feed in the front garden, and one has taken to feeding on the bird table, then having a drink from the bubble fountain, only the last two days only one appears, but I think they have a nest nearby. Why do they call it a mourning dove, we usually call them feral pigeons, which have interbred with fan tails, rock and stock doves. Nina.

Nina: I think it's called a Mourning Dove due to its soulful "coo, coo, coo". It's our commonest native dove (Zenaida Macroura). 12", small head, sexes are similar in looks. On takeoff their wings make a whistling sound. They feed their nestlings "crop milk" which is secreted by both adults. This is the exclusive food for the nestlings for the first three days after hatching. Don't think I can show a picture of both the morph dove and the regular on this post, but will show it in the "gallery". Very possibly it's been interbred - but with what?

Nina/NCLady, these are not the same as feral pigeons. We also have lots of those. NCLady is right, they are called that because there call is supposedly thought of as very sad, thus being in mourning. Not the typical cooing of other doves.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back