• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help i.d. in n.y. (1 Viewer)

glide133

Heres a few of my morning birds and ducks.any help is appreciated

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1506877382014.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506877382014.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 75
  • FB_IMG_1506877378850.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506877378850.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 99
  • FB_IMG_1506877375306.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506877375306.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 67
  • FB_IMG_1506877331180.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506877331180.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 56
  • FB_IMG_1506877324739.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506877324739.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 54
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler
2 Greater Yellowlegs + maybe Western Sandpiper Couple of Least Sandpiper on left with yellow legs.
3 Dunlin
4 Blue-winged Teal
5 Pintail

The shorebird photo is a pretty spectacular group of birds. Here is my take:

From left to right: The left two are pectoral, next in the back is greater yellowlegs, next in the foreground baird's, middle is dunlin background is dowitcher (cant tell which species), next by itself in the middle is a dunlin, next is a white-rumped next to the greater yellowlegs as stated in the above comment, then you have another baird's in the foreground with two dunlin behind it.

Last edited:
Starting with the greater yellowlegs on the left, slightly to the right the dowitcher is the one in the middle that you can only see its head and neck and if you look for the legs they are yellow.

If I've got the bird you mean right, Tom, (head, neck & legs only visible) then the bill is much too short for a Dowitcher sp. - it looks like another Pectoral to me.

If I've got the bird you mean right, Tom, (head, neck & legs only visible) then the bill is much too short for a Dowitcher sp. - it looks like another Pectoral to me.

Whoops, you're definitely correct. At first I thought the short bill was an effect of the angle, should have thought about it more.

so are people positive that the baird sp is actually that?someone on a fb page I post on say's no to the baird being that.he's a well know birder.thank's.

so are people positive that the baird sp is actually that?someone on a fb page I post on say's no to the baird being that.he's a well know birder.thank's.

I shouldn't have stirred the pot that way, they are probably all juvenile White-rumped Sands, although it seems to me to be nearly impossible to tell them apart from juvenile Baird's in this photo.

thanks tom,just wanted to be sure.this is why I like this forum.the pictures aren't that good either.and you could be right still.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back