• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

Needless to say no sign of the Kittiwake this morning. The vast majority of records have been one day birds; I will post details tonight of those birds which have been recorded on multiple days (it may be a very short list)

Generally a quiet day, spring like early on with 17 degrees C on my car thermometer, but felt bitter later when winds went northerly.
Plenty of water rails calling along causeway, as well as east and west side and north moors. A couple of chiffs sang and a few redwing fed in the NM.
MOORS:
GCG 4, little grebe 5, little egret 3, cormorant 21, shoveler 46, teal 14, gadwall 5, shelduck 3, tufted 55, snipe 4, lapwing 3, oysytercatcher 4, water rail 6,
cettis w 2, chiffchaff 2, goldcrest singing, reed bunting 5 singing.

NORTH MOORS:
Gadwall pr, teal 10, tufted 4, coot 2, water rail 2 or 3, cettis w, redwing 4, reed bunting.

FLASHES:
Teal 34 (54 - 58 total), shelduck 2 (4 or 5 in total), tufted 2, coot 20, snipe 12, lapwing 2, curlew 6 (looks like the winter flock are now dispersing), oystercatcher 2, avocet 23, BHG 950 roosted, LBBG pr, buzzard 2, green woodp, raven, stock dove 6, cettis w singing hen brook,

Last edited:
Today's work party at Moors

15 of us were involved in
1. planting another 50 hawthorns
2. dead hedging in the North Moors
3. dead hedged around the horse chestnut tree
and generally tying up some loose ends.

Thanks to BOB O, Bob P, Bob R, Charles, Dave H, Janet, Jim, Peter E, Peter, Ray C, Roger, Terry W, Tony B, Tony H and me. Also many thanks to Dave for buying the hawthorns.
pics
1. to 3 planting hawthorns
west track, car park, North Moors
4. dead hedging in North Moors.

next week we will be working in the North Moors clearing up some of the areas where the contractors worked. This will include moving any willows that have been left lying in the wrong areas. Re building the viewing screens. planting juncus in the new scrape. Setting the sluice at the spring level and generally readying the site for the spring.
Also Cake day has been brought forward to the 31st March:eat:

Attachments

• 1 west track planting DSCF5995.jpg
    1 west track planting DSCF5995.jpg
    935.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.CAR PARK planting DSCF6005.jpg
    2.CAR PARK planting DSCF6005.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 3. nm planting DSCF5999.jpg
    3. nm planting DSCF5999.jpg
    938.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 4.deaD HEDGE nm DSCF6002.jpg
    4.deaD HEDGE nm DSCF6002.jpg
    960.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Needless to say no sign of the Kittiwake this morning. The vast majority of records have been one day birds; I will post details tonight of those birds which have been recorded on multiple days (it may be a very short list)

As I suspected it is very short list of Kittiwakes present longer than a single day at Upton Warren:

- two adults at the Moors Pool on the 12th March 1988 were also noted the following day (Des Jennings, Tony Ware, Richard Harbird, David Wright)
- juvenile present on Sailing Pool from the 24th to 27th August 1994 (Stuart Croft, John Ridley)
- one which arrived at the Moors Pool as part of a group of four on the 24th March 1996 remained until the next day (Gordon Greaves, Arthur Jacobs, Terry Hinett)

Gert - perhaps I should have posted this BEFORE you did your early morning vigil #kitdip

Last edited:
Generally a quiet day, spring like early on with 17 degrees C on my car thermometer, but felt bitter later when winds went northerly.
Plenty of water rails calling along causeway, as well as east and west side and north moors. A couple of chiffs sang and a few redwing fed in the NM.
MOORS:
GCG 4, little grebe 5, cormorant 21, shoveler 46, teal 14, gadwall 5, shelduck 3, tufted 55, snipe 4, lapwing 3, oysytercatcher 4, water rail 6,
cettis w 2, chiffchaff 2, goldcrest singing, reed bunting 5 singing.

NORTH MOORS:
Gadwall pr, teal 10, tufted 4, coot 2, water rail 2 or 3, cettis w, redwing 4, reed bunting.

FLASHES:
Teal 34 (54 - 58 total), shelduck 2 (4 or 5 in total), tufted 2, coot 20, snipe 12, lapwing 2, curlew 6 (looks like the winter flock are now dispersing), oystercatcher 2, avocet 23, BHG 950 roosted, LBBG pr, buzzard 2, green woodp, raven, stock dove 6, cettis w singing hen brook,

Also 3 Little Egret at the Moors Pool

Forthcoming Group visits

Below is a summary of all the next 2015 group visits to date.

APR
Thu 2 April WWT holiday activity
Sat 18 April Redditch Worcestershire Wildlife Trust local group (14
people approx)
Sat 26 April Shropshire RSPB (10 – 20 people)

MAY
Thu May 14 Wyre Forest U3A
Thu May 21 Alcester U3A (14 people approx)
Thu May 28 Wyre Forest U3A
Sat May 30 WWT Bird Identification training day

JUNE
Thu June 18 Arrow Valley Group

JULY
Sat July 11 Army Ornithological group (6 – 8 people)

AUG
Thu Aug 13 WWT childrens group TBC

Below is a summary of all the next 2015 group visits to date.

APR
Thu 2 April WWT holiday activity
Sat 18 April Redditch Worcestershire Wildlife Trust local group (14
people approx)
Sat 26 April Shropshire RSPB (10 – 20 people)

MAY
Thu May 14 Wyre Forest U3A
Thu May 21 Alcester U3A (14 people approx)
Thu May 28 Wyre Forest U3A
Sat May 30 WWT Bird Identification training day

JUNE
Thu June 18 Arrow Valley Group

JULY
Sat July 11 Army Ornithological group (6 – 8 people)

AUG
Thu Aug 13 WWT childrens group TBC

Do we need to reconsider Sat 26th April for the Spring All-Dayer then?

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Avocet (23)-----------------------Lapwing (2)
Curlew (5)------------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Snipe (6)--------------------------Shelduck (2)
Gadwall (2)-----------------------Shoveler (2)
Tufted Duck (4)-------------------Teal (15)
Chiffchaff (2)---------------------Cetti's Warbler (Hen Pool)
B H Gull (c1100) inc PA86-------Common Gull (4)=(1)1w+(1)2w+(2)ad.
Raven

MOORS:
Little Egret (3)--------------------Lapwing (2)
Snipe (5)--------------------------Oystercatcher (4)
Shoveler (27)---------------------Gadwall(2)
Teal (9)----------------------------Tufted Duck (37)
Skylark----------------------------Kestrel
Kingfisher (2)---------------------Cormorant (15)
Redwing (2)-----------------------Chiffchaff (3)
Herring Gull (2ad)----------------G C Grebe (4)
Little Grebe (2)-------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Mute Swan (2)--------------------Pheasant

NORTH MOORS:
Gadwall (2)-----------------------Teal (7)
Tufted Duck (3)

SAILING POOL/ED RES*:
Greylag Goose (5)---------------G C Grebe (2)
Tufted Duck (5)------------------Mute Swan (2)
Chiffchaff (4)*-------------------Water Rail*
Cetti's Warbler

Des.

Hi Des
Yesterday I had between 48(min) and 60 (max) Teal on the reserve, also shovelers have reduced.
re Lapwing I had a displaying male on the Moors and 1 female. But no females on Flashes just 2 males.

Last edited:
Hi Des
Yesterday I had between 48(min) and 60 (max) Teal on the reserve, also shovelers have reduced. I had a displaying male on the Moors and 1 female. But no females on Flashes just 2 males.

There are bound to be a few hidden birds not accounted for, but there appeared to be a definite reduction in numbers.

I should add there were also 6 Shelduck at the Moors.

Des.

There are bound to be a few hidden birds not accounted for, but there appeared to be a definite reduction in numbers.

I should add there were also 6 Shelduck at the Moors.

Des.

2 shelduck, presumably a pair on the north moors, went into the reeds and never reappeared while I was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back