• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinch with Sparrow Flock (1 Viewer)

Kiscokid

I have a feeder pole and tray by the side of a dense bush in my back garden which attracts all your usual garden birds - collared doves, robins(2!), sparrow, dunnocks, tits etc - however I have recently been getting visits from 8 or so sparrows who fly into the hedge, sit and eat at hourly intervals.....
Anyway to cut to the chase for the last two days they have been joined by a solitary goldfinch who will fly in with them, eat with them and fly off with them. Having never seen a goldfinch I was really pleased and the colours were so vivid ..... but I'm interested to know if this is normal behaviour?

Hi Kisco, I didn't have any goldfinches in my present garden up until a few weeks ago. Saw one, then two, now there are 3 or 4 on a pretty regular basis.

I usually find that once one finch finds food, (be it golfinch/greenfinch) the others usually follow.

Helen - well at least they're 'in the area' - no chaffinches though - never seen one in my garden which seems a bit strange as I thought they were common

Last year, at about this time, we had a solitary goldfinch which came with the sparrows. This continued for a long time until eventually more goldfinches arrived and the solitary one seemed to join them.
This year we have 6 goldfinches which visit daily. Sometimes the sparrows are there at the same time but they don't intermingle.

http://www.furandfeathers.co.uk

peckey said:
Last year, at about this time, we had a solitary goldfinch which came with the sparrows. This continued for a long time until eventually more goldfinches arrived and the solitary one seemed to join them.
This year we have 6 goldfinches which visit daily. Sometimes the sparrows are there at the same time but they don't intermingle. QUOTE]

Yes, I find this as well, that sparrows and goldfinches don't intermingle. I get three goldfinches visiting every day now, from the first one that came about a year ago, and last week, I had nine here all at the same time.

Kiscokid said:
Helen - well at least they're 'in the area' - no chaffinches though - never seen one in my garden which seems a bit strange as I thought they were common
Kisco - when I lived in Wycombe, I had at least 15-20 goldfinches daily, much more that I get here. Surprised you don't have chaffinch, although I'm sure they'll appear sooner rather than later.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back