• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk sex/age please - UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Not my pic, so I've not seen the bird close-up like I often do. My eyes aren't reliable enough to sex/age from just pictures on a Laptop screen, unless the bird is a standard adult male or a juvenile with coarse barring and pale fringes to feathers.

So I'm not sure about this one. The lighting is harsh and colours exaggerated, but there's no obvious signs of a juvenile (2cy), so to confirm what I think I can see:

Breast barring looks adult (no coarse barring/heart shapes)? No pale fringes to feathers? I can't see any blotchiness/untidiness on the head/crown? Obvious (though not too pronounced like a juvenile) supercilium?

Allowing for the time of year, I'm assuming this is an adult female... or is it?

Thanks

Attachments

• post-582-0-45366500-1391115239.jpg
    post-582-0-45366500-1391115239.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 136
Not such a bad photo.....Definitely an adult female. The few pale edges on coverts are normal, and a far cry from the scaly appearance of a juvenile. The colour of upper side is perfect for adult female being slate with a brownish cast. Warmer yellow iris is also typical. Never mind the type of barring on underside, because that is highly variable.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back