• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Hello,
A week ago I have the 82mm model and all I can say is it's fabulous, I can not compare with any other model, but as I say I really like, is very handy and light for its size and the image is sharp and with good contrast, mechanically it has interesting details, softness in focus drives a slight resistance on the zoom ring, but without disturbing.
I think the value for money is very good
A greeting

I’ve had to send mine back for a refund, not impressed, stains on the internal matt black surfaces when you look into the objective lens, there’s a dot in the centre of the lens, a internal scratch on the objective lens approx. 40mm long, when you screw the pa slr mount onto the thread of the eye piece its out of line, i.e. at the eye glass end there’s a 3mm gap one side and 5mm the other (not cross threaded) and after x50 i couldnt get any focus.

I sent them an email a few weeks back with no response to my question. I’m guessing there scopes must be built in a different factory then there binoculars as my vanguard bins are amazing quality.

So it looks like quality control will be the typical issue with inexpensive Chinese optics. Those who got good samples are happy, one person received a clunker.

eitanaltman, were you able to resolve your issues with the 65mm? I am still considering purchasing one to keep in my truck, and would like to hear your impression of it.

I sent it back to OpticsPlanet a couple of weeks ago for an exchange. The replacement is on its way to me currently, should arrive in a day or two. I am very much hoping this one is a nice sample because other than the black spot in the eyepiece and the softness above 30x I really did like it. It feels very high quality -- from the feel of the rubber armor to the focus knob action etc. -- so I want the optics to match.

Hello,
The mine, but I use it much more for astronomical observation (I have not much time during the day), any time I've used it for birding I found quite good.
A greeting

A follow up on this scope....

The second sample I received from OpticsPlanet was much better in most respects. It maintained sharpness at higher magnifications more effectively and had the same nice overall mechanical quality and feel. However, I am going to return this one for a refund and look for something else.

My primary reasons for returning it:

1. While this sample was better, I still struggled to get sharp focus above 30x magnification. Part of the problem is that I think any inexpensive, smaller aperture scope is not going to be perfectly corrected and struggle at those magnifications. Even in well controlled conditions (reading text at close range to remove atmospheric interference) I still found that, while sharp, there was a bit of "gauziness" to the image at high mags that I attribute to spherical aberration. Probably to be expected again given the price.

Secondarily, I think the fine focus knob was a bit imprecise, I found myself constantly shooting past the perfect focus and hunting back and forth, like I could never get it to "snap" in. In fact, I discovered that I preferred focusing with the coarse focus knob at high mags! I think, in addition to lack of perfectly corrected optics, the fine focus knob is a bit "loose" and thus makes it hard to dial it in precisely.

2. Although this sample was better optically, it AGAIN had dark specs in the zoom eyepiece. At least this time it wasn't a big black speck in the dead center, but there were several smaller dark specs to the sides.

3. While the optics are very bright and have little fall-off as you go towards the edges (probably the best part about this scope optically), I found the FOV of the zoom too narrow for my tastes. It's basically the standard 40-60 degree FOV of the typical zoom eyepiece, and think (especially because the high mags struggle as noted above) I would rather pair a compact budget scope with a nice fixed WA eyepiece (25-30x).

So I am going to return it and might go back to the Pentax PF-65ED, which is even more compact and has nice optics and much better eyepiece flexibility. Or maybe save up a bit and try to snag a Fieldscope III ED on sale with the new Nikons coming out, or maybe go smaller with an ED50 or the Vortex Razor HD 50mm and then get a bigger scope some time in the future.

In summary, the scope does have many positive points. As I mentioned above the build quality is outstanding for the price, it's very comfortable to use and well put together. It comes with a nice view-through case included. The optics are very bright, with only minimal chromatic aberration and distortion towards the edges. At the price I would have paid ($350 after the rebate) it probably has no equal outside of maybe finding a good deal on a Celestron Regal F-ED. If you get a nice sample it's a high quality option.

But at full price ($500-600) you are getting very close to some other excellent options.

I got one too but i sent it back to Optics Planet today.

The coarse focus had a spot where it was much harder to turn past. It should not have been like that on a brand new scope.

There were some fingerprints on the front lens...on a brand new scope...

I saw the gauziness too that Eitan wrote about. It was terrible when looking with spectacles, as i mostly do. I tested it at two magnifications, 40x and 60x and saw it there.

Well, the search for a "cheaper" back up scope continues...

Anders

I bought the Vanguard 82 HD a few days ago and received it yesterday. I had to pay only 324€, wich is pretty cheap for this great spotting scope. I guess I had lot's of luck, that my scope doesn't has dust or other stuff in the eyepiece. Even at higher magnification I'm satisfied with the scope. I can't wait to test it for digiscoping on my GH3

Im happy of discover this scope ... it has a straight version too ... my dream of get a 80 straight binoscope for less than 1000 euros could be achieved, the celestrons, the helios, etc all are cheap too but all angled

Its this a recent model? never heard about they

ok, I already tested it in the field and I have to say, that you shouldn't expect perfect image quality at 60x magnification. Quality is ok to let's say 40x magnification. The image gets soft than. I guess even scopes from Svaro will show this prob at so high magnifications. Mabye I will try to screw on another eyepiece some day...
At 20 times magnification to even 40 times as I said, I'm totally satisfied with this scope.
One thing I didn't like, was the PA 202 adapter, they sell for this scope. It's absolutely carp....
I would like to know, who had this stupid idea, to build this adapter....
It's really sad, that they don't produce a good adapter anymore...

The problem is, that you have to screw this adapter to your camera lens, and not to the body. Thats really stupid...
Image gets extremly dark and it's not balanced on your tripod. Its extremly heavy in the back.

another bad issue is, that you have only small circle for digiscoping/filming. You can't use full size of your camera sensor. you have the same optical field of view, as if you look through the scope.

So I bought now the PA 200 Adapter, wich should fit,too,
With that adapter, you can directly mount a T adapter, wich should be the better solution.
Only bad thing is, this adapter is no longer beeing produced...
So hurry up, if you think abaut buying this scope for digiscoping...

litte update: I finaly received the Vanguard PA 200 adapter and it doesn't fit! That's quite interesting, because it's for the Vanguard Endeavor series, but not for the newer HD series! I tought that they built in the same eyepiece in both mods, but thats not the case....
I now will try too combine the to Adapter PA 200 and PA 202, maybe that wil work...
you can screw off the the bottom part of both adapters, so maybe it's possible to set the bottom part of the PA 200 on the PA 202 adapter. I will post a reply, when I reorder and reveive the PA 202 again....

I have compared the Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A with other spotting scopes. It is well build and I very much like the adapter-system for Digiscoping. Unfortunately the optics are not on a high level, better than a good achromatic spotting scope but my Pentax PF 80EDa is much better regarding the images. I took pictures with a DSLR, a Samsung Galaxy S5 and a Sony RX 100 IV through the Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A, a Pentax PF 80EDa, a Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85 and a Kowa TSN 883. In that field, the Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A didn't perform well. I wouldn't use it for serious digiscoping. You can see some images of that spottin scope on my website:

http://www.photoinfos.com/Spektiv/Vanguard-Endeavor-HD-82A.htm

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back