• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fancy Pigeon hybrid? - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
I know Pigeons aren't in vogue (They used to be, as they saved a lot of lives in both World Wars by carrying messages ;) ) but I thought I'd risk posting this in case anyone recognises the breed.

Notice the Cere colour - bill shape and colour - eye colour - tail length. All features are different to the other 60+ Pigeons that visit my garden each day.

Oh, this is a male, and he's in the nest during the day, hence the worn tail feathers... no idea where.

Thanks.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that he's at least two years old, as a pink Cere is a sign of a juvenile

Attachments

• P1780769RGp900n2.jpg
    P1780769RGp900n2.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
That's one more reply than I expected ;)

Who knows what they've tried with this one; it's certainly different

It's Columba livia, end of story. 'Breeds' are surely outside the remit of this site...

No Birdforum member is forced to reply... unless they feel they have something helpful to add.

I asked a question about a "WILD" bird - the thread was started 24 hours ago - apparently nobody was offended by my question... or maybe you was the exception?

Well, I wasn't offended as such, I didn't mean to give that impression, and for that I am sorry. But, in my eyes, 'breeds', in their pure sense, are basically captive birds, stuff such as tumbler pigeons, Aylesbury ducks and so on. Feral populations may include birds with such characteristics, but these would either be direct escapes (if they are 'pure' breeds) or showing characters based on past input by such birds. So your bird, unless it was a direct escape, first generation and bred true, or is someone's captive bird joining in with your local feral pigeons, it is unlikely to be a full breed.

It's an odd looking beast, alright. When you say it spends most of the day in the nest, do you mean that it's actually nesting? If so, it will be interesting to see what the progeny grow up to look like.

It's an odd looking beast, alright. When you say it spends most of the day in the nest, do you mean that it's actually nesting? If so, it will be interesting to see what the progeny grow up to look like.

Yeah he only shows up at night, Fred, and the tail feathers look a bit tatty, so I'm pretty sure he's on eggs in the day time. I watched him pair up a while ago, so I'm pretty sure. Although I can't remember which female he mated with ;)

(I'll get pics of the young if/when they show up; they don't always stay, but the youngsters usually find my garden straight after leaving the nest)

Sorry, I'm a bit baffled here - you say a pink cere means a juvenile, yet this bird with its pink cere is at least 2 years old??

Juvenile Pigeons have a pinkish bill and Cere (if you can call it a Cere, more a pinkish area where the Cere will be). Adult Pigeons have a white Cere. This Pigeon is an adult, but has a pinkish Cere... which is one of the odd features that made me post a pic

The bit you quoted was just badly phrased by me ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back