• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

photographers/fishing vest for the humid tropics (1 Viewer)

gandytron

I'm getting a bit bored of carrying a backpack around my local patch and thinking that a well-pocketed vest might be a better option. Living in Bangkok, where temperatures are usually over 30 celcius, it needs to be lightweight - ideally with a mesh back.

I've seen a few from surfing the web, but wonder if anybody has a tried and tested recommendation?

Thanks,

Dave

Big Pockets Vest.

I have the Big Pockets vest, and thoroughly reccomend it. I have just returned from Myanmar, high heat and humidity, and the vest performed flawlessly. Neat side pockets for water bottle, even weight distribution, and the air flows through.
Enough pockets for all you will need during the day.

I've also been trying a vest to replace the rucksack in hot SE-Asia, but for me the vest was too hot. The most comfy solution I settled for local patch birding (with little gear needed) was a belt pack (Lowepro field station). I attached a shoulder strap to it, so could switch between using it as belt pack and shoulder bag. Good thing is it keeps your back uncovered so much less sweating than with rucksack or vest.

I've also been trying a vest to replace the rucksack in hot SE-Asia, but for me the vest was too hot. The most comfy solution I settled for local patch birding (with little gear needed) was a belt pack (Lowepro field station). I attached a shoulder strap to it, so could switch between using it as belt pack and shoulder bag. Good thing is it keeps your back uncovered so much less sweating than with rucksack or vest.

I agree. I use a large Gelert bum bag when I don't need to carry too much. It will comfortably carry the lens not on my camera (either 150mm macro or 100 - 400), drink and a snack. Much more than that though and it would start to get uncomfortable.

So I ended up getting a Big Pockets "Equatorial" vest. I've used it so far on my local patch (park land), tropical forest and salt pans in temperatures up to the mid/high 30s Celsius and it does not seem to be too hot, especially when the alternative is carrying a back pack.

The vest seems to be very well made, of hard wearing material. The padded shoulders and two water bottle holders are features that I particularly like.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back