• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlings..... (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
Now there's an interesting subject, having lived in Scarborough, Hull, rural Yorkshire and now rural Yorkshire near a river I have had a good chance to study starlings - not too many in Scarborough, hundreds in Hull, about 5/6 a day in rural Yorkshire and none at all in rural Yorkshire near river - very strange.........

El Annie

El Annie, here in my backyard I have literally hundreds of starlings. The winter is especially bad when sometimes I swear I'm going to give up bird feeding....of course I can't! LOL.

You can have a few of ours if you want. We get around twenty in the garden togther and are real piggy eaters usually chasing of the other birds.
I quite like the look of them when seen close up with the 'petrol' plumage as we call it and still 'spotty' chest at the moment. We're now getting flocks of thousands on an evening going to roost. even on mornings they are quite comical to see early on as you may get 15-20 lining the tops of lamp post after lamp post along the roadsides :)

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for us to get 20-25 Starling in the garden at the same time, usually probing the grass for bits and pieces, or swinging acrobatically from the "fat balls" on the tree.

It's strange that whenever they're here, it's not too long before they all disappear and are replaced with Jackdaw, which can number up to 15 at a time. They generally hang around in the tree, or swing from the "fat balls" or the washing line.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back