• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ38 and stargazing (1 Viewer)

ubdai

Are there are connectors /convertors available that would enable the camera to be attached to a telescope.

Just got the idea after watching the prog on BBC.

cheers
ubdai

If you want something quick and easy, then the Orion SteadyPix is a good option. I have one and have used it for comets that pass by, etc.

Now for the unsolicited response :-D

You are dealing with the same challenges as digiscoping. Digiscoping ranges from homebrew using plumbing from the hardware store to computer designed gear specific to the manufacturer. If you happen to have something available from your telescope manufacturer, that might be more stable. One weakness with the SteadyPix is that the optical connection should be shielded from light. Lots of astro guys will use the "black hat" trick and other things to get a decently shielded view. [edit - the "black hat trick" is usually for the telescope objective side rather than for shielding light - disregard that - but some black felt or a black tube would be good to shield light between the camera and the eyepiece.]

[Disregard paragraph ]I have digiscoped with a range of cameras [strike] including the venerable FZ28 so the FZ38 should be very usable with objects of reasonable magnitude (brighter clusters and nebulae, comets, planets, etc). [/strike] [I was a bit excited with this one but actually I have not used the FZ28 for digiscoping and only with an extender - a long zoom camera may not be best for digiscoping - test handheld first - sorry for that]

Since you can have an exposure as long as 30 seconds, the ideal situation for you would be an equatorial mount with tracking. Barring that, a number of 5 to 10 second exposures or video, using an image stacking program will help create images.

All that being said, I like to observe. There will always be people doing astrophotography that puts anything the FZ can do to shame - so observation plus maybe a souvenir photo is fun but consider it a gateway drug to a CCD setup and having to rent out the local planetarium to get the results you really want :-D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back