• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seagulls (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
I read a report today, That a Flock of Seagulls was destroyed in
Aberdeen, (yesterday I think)
Anyone Got the facts?

STEVE

As I understand it, 72 gulls were found dead on the North Pier of Aberdeen Harbour last Friday night.

From post-mortem reports, it's said the birds were repeatedly driven over by a car as they rested on the pier, which is adjacent to a public right-of-way.

An inspector for the SSPCA was called to see if any of the birds were still alive. Evidently, some were, but had to be destroyed because they were suffering excruciating pain. The inspector said he had never seen anything like it before.

If the Gulls were found to be Common Gull Larus canus then they are supposed to be protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981). The spokeswoman said that if this were the case then anyone prosecuted for the attack could be charged with killing each individual bird.

:mad: Ralph gets mad :mad:

It certainly does Steve

Just cast your mind back to the Little Tern colony on Great Yarmouth beach this spring.

If we can do similar things or worse to each other then whats a few birds. Events in East Anglia at the weekend have proven yet again how sick some people are.

burhinus

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back