• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parasite (2 Viewers)

clongwor

I'm a fledgling bird watcher in Massachusetts (but not a fledgling person by any means!)

My biggest surpise was watching what looked to be a big brown baby starling out on the lawn start fluttering and begging. I expected to see a momma starling come over with food, but was shocked to see a teeny bright yellow bird with a black hood and yellow mask fly down with a mouthful of green bugs. The next time he came, the baby had gone into the underbrush and papa was frantically calling and looking around till baby came into view. (He did an admirable job of calling with his beak full of moths!) After they left, I looked in the book and identified papa as a Hooded Warbler, but the picture showed a tiny green bird as a juvenile. Then online I read that these warblers are very susceptible to victimization by brown-headed cowbirds who use the same modus operandi as some cuckoos. I saw the pair a few more times that week, but I have not seen any more warblers.

I have a new respect for bird fatherhood, having seen the diligent concern this bird had for a baby that looked absolutely nothing like him!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back