• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 85FL and zeiss quick adapter whats the best camera? (1 Viewer)

I have just got the quick camera adapter for my angled diascope 85 and have purchased the Nikon Coolpix P5100 to go with it.Digiscoping is a departure for me as I use a Nikon D200 DSLR and Sigma 500mm F4.5 lens for most of my bird photographs, However on a recent trip to Mull I found that a Digiscoper was getting better pictures that I was at long distance. I have the zeiss SLR adapter but that whilst good is not as good as this digiscoping set up! It seems strange that very expensive optics di not perform as well as this digiscoping set up.

Still my initial results with the Coolpix P5100 are excellent, it is 12.1 megepixel so large enlargements can be made, its a bit too automatic for me as I prefer more control over my photographic equipment.The coolpix lacks Camera 'RAW' which gives more control over post production manipulation of images in photoshop, I understand that the new P6000 just anounced has this but it is priced at about £340 RRP I got the P5100 from warehouse express for £170 on a price beat looking at Amazons price of £175.

I do have a slight practical problem with my set up. I have a canvas case on my diascope and have found it almost impossible to use with the quick camera adapter. The case fills the space between the two rubber lugs at the base of the diascope (beneath the eyepiece) and the platform of the quick camera adapter. Has any one a solution to this problem. Its not a Zeiss case, is that different to mine? Can I cut away an area of the case so that the quick camera adapter fits to the diascope? I would appreciate it if other memebers have a solution

I'd go along with the P5100 as a very good start - however, try sending a message to Paul Hackett (of BF and Carl Zeiss)....he is a very keen digiscoper / professional optics adviser and helpful chap. Good Luck

Solved the problem with the canvas case curtesy of some advice from Zeiss UK and have got the neoprene Zeiss case, this allows the quick camera adapter to fit properly to the diascope. The more I use the quick camera adapter the more I like it, has anyone got an idea (apart from a plastic bag) on how I can protect the adapter when carrying it attached to the scope?

Zeiss 85FL

I have the same setup and the adapter is excellent. I have bought a Sony W300 which Zeiss use as well as it has a Zeiss lens. It took about 10 minutes to set it all up. Shame about weather at moment , it seems to make all the birds stay indoors! But I got a nice shot of a rose at the bottom of the garden.

After a few attempts trying to fit my ”old” Sony DCS 85 camera onto my Zeiss 85 scope without success, I am now looking for something else for digiscoping. Another reason why I will dump my Sony is, the memory sticks are no longer available and also the adaptor unit device I have now is far too unstable.
Anyone who have tried out the Minox DCM 5 Digital Camera Module and if so is it worth spending your money on? The idea seems to be just what one will need and compared to the price of the Zeiss DC 4 Camera Eyepiece it is even more tempting to buy the Minox.
In case one would look for a suitable compact digital camera for digiscoping – any qualified suggestions? The problem I have had has been the lack of the internal zoom function as you saw on the Nikon Coolpix 4500. How does one cope with that as none of the compact cameras I have checked out has this feature? All have the lens focusing externally.

After writing the above text I checked out the Bird Forum and I can see like you David I use my Nikon D200 DSLR and also a Sigma 500mm F4.5. In addition to that I also have the adapter unit for using the D200 on my Zeiss, but the light has to be more than bright sunshine to get good pictures and you cannot adjust the (“A”) apparature. (locks at f22 or something like that I think). Like you I assume that at longer distances the Digiscoper would get better pictures – without having tried it yet.

Best wishes,
Torben Back Sorensen
Koge, Denmark

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back