• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpigeon sunning ? (1 Viewer)

mikecampbell

I have just seen a Woodpigeon land on the patio then go on one side resting on its wing edge. It then put the other wing up in the air. The paving stones are warm from the sunny day. The bird was two feet from a bird bath where other birds were splashing about. Was the bird 'sunning' or trying to catch some water spray from the nearby splashing ? Anyone seen this before as I haven't. Any comments ?

I have observed several species doing the wing bit but never near water. I have always thought that they were sunning themselves. Blackbirds do it alot in my garden.

burhinus

Hi, I have seen birds do a similar action called "anting", where the bird will allow ants onto its body in order to kill the bird's aphids and other little nasties. Like a dirt bath.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back