• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local year list (1 Viewer)

tf1044x

Hi,
Second attempt,

This year I have spent some time watching my local patch, The Old Moor area in South Yorkshire. Out of the 172 species recorded, I managed to see exactly 150.
The highlights I saw were,

A pair of Black-necked Grebe
At least twenty sightings of Bittern.
Little Egret.
A flyover White Stork (origin unknown)
Five Common Scoter.
One female Scaup.
Two Marsh Harrier.
One Osprey.
One Goshawk.
More Buzzard records than ever before.
Numerous Hobby and Peregrine.
Out of the 31 species of wader that were recorded,
Pectoral Sandpiper
American Golden Plover
Purple Sandpiper
Two Bar-tailed Godwit
And a flock of 21 Knot were the highlights.
Also three Glaucous Gull, two Med Gull,
lots of Little Gull.
Sandwich Tern
Water Pipit
Two Waxwing
Plus many more, I really had a good year.

Hi Trev,

Good score!

I've only managed 70 species on my local patch this year, but that is out of 70 recorded . . . ;)

(i.e., no-one else watches the place!!)

Michael

Thanks Michael,

Do you ever watch a place called Bamburgh, (I think that's how you spell it) I remember seeing a Thrush Nightingale there a few years ago, but I haven't heard of it for some time now.

Trev

Hi Trev,

Yep, get up to Bamburgh every now & then (several times a year), even tho' it's at the other end of the county. Haven't had Thrush Nightingale there though (still yet to see one in Northumbs at all), that must've been quite a while ago?

Michael

trev said:
Your garden must been in a good location, I get nowhere near that in and around mine.

I'm on the seafront overlooking low tide salt marsh and mudflats and have two large gardens that are good for migrants

Hi trev...

I reckon Jane's garden is Morecambe Bay!!!

Nicely done on the Year Patch list...

Managed a couple of trip to Old Moor this year (although didn't do it justice either time!) and it helped boost my year score.

birdman said:
Hi trev...

I reckon Jane's garden is Morecambe Bay!!!

Nicely done on the Year Patch list...

Managed a couple of trip to Old Moor this year (although didn't do it justice either time!) and it helped boost my year score.

Well its actually Liverpool Bay... I can see into Morecambe Bay...but I can only just make out the oil rigs... now if I had a Questar......

Hi Michael,
I didn't realise just how long it had been 22nd May 83. I was at Spurn when I got the news so I dashed up to see it, then got another one later that year on Scilly.

Trev

I managed 109 species this year , but I only began watching my local patch properly in August so I think that's fairly impressive ! Highlights for me were :-
Spotted Redshank .
Bittern ( 3 ).
Firecrest .
Lesser-spotted Woodpecker .
Water Rail . ( loads ).
Water Pipit .
Whimbrel .
Peregrine .
Willow Tit .
Reed Warbler .

There are probably others but I cant remember ... here's a few I dipped out on :-

Purple Heron . ( Damn !! )
Whinchat .
Stonechat .
Red-brested Merganser .
Hobby .
Black-tailed Godwit .

Ive seen all the above elsewhere ( apart from the Purple Heron ) , I just want them for my Patch List .

trev said:
Hi Birdman,

You will have to let me know the next time you are going down, perhaps we could meet up for a while.
Sounds good!

Had an unexpected (and hence unplanned) trip over to Old Moor today, but next time it's a defininte, I'll give you the nod and the wink, and if you're free I'll let you show me round!

:t:

Seb,
They are seen every year, especially in late summer, it is just this year we have had more sightings than usual.

I used to always be told and read that they were only seen in the south of the country.(and had a small, tiny breeding population). Then the next thing i know, i see a couple round here and asked a friend who said that they were often found quite a lot further up north and had a larger breeding population than i always had known. I guess theyve expanded their range and therefore numbers....

Trev,

I have a small selcetion on my list from Old Moor not long ago when I met you. One was a lifer, all those Tree Sparrers! I do not know what my local patch list total is and you have given me something to look into!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back