• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Settings for 590is (1 Viewer)

Bob Philpott

Does anyone have settings that work when using the Canon 590is for digiscoping? I suspect this has probably previously been a thread but I cant find it, apologies if this is the case.

Does anyone have settings that work when using the Canon 590is for digiscoping? I suspect this has probably previously been a thread but I cant find it, apologies if this is the case.

If not then there are setting for the 570 IS which cannot be that much different. Just check the camera section under Canon.

Aperture Priority, ISO 100-200, sometimes using the Manual focusing icon and setting it to infinity, a good shutter release cable (SRB-Griturn brand). Madimum zoom at 4x. And have good eyesight.

ISO 100
Drive Mode CONTINUOUS
Metering SPOT
AF Frame CENTER
Digital Zoom STANDARD
MF Point Zoom ON
Safety MF ON
Review Info DETAILED
IS Mode OFF
MACRO MODE
Compensation -0.3

It's a good idea to continually check focus with this camera as not easy to rely on the lcd screen. By switching Digital Zoom to STANDARD you can zoom the camera lens into the digital zoom zone, re-focus the scope and then zoom the camera lens back out. Using Macro try not to go over half zoom. If you want more magnification then switch Macro off. If you get over 60% zoom then AF becomes more unreliable so better to go to Manual Focus.
I hope this helps , Neil.

I
Safety MF ON
For all A590IS users: after a hint by mailinglist I switched off the 'Safety MF', since the AF don't work so great ('Safety MF' apply a AF after the manual focus). Now with focus only on the scope (590 focus set to infinity) I have more pics in focus.

Thanks for that tip, bughunter. Will give it a shot!
Do you still need to half press the release button (which normally induces AF), or can you just focus with the scope and start shooting ?

Cheers,
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back