• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Searching Opus (1 Viewer)

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
The Opus:Searching information doesn't make sense!

Could it be made into an information page about how to use the Search facility, please?

One that would be particularly useful is how to search for an exact phrase, please. In google that's done with quote marks "your exact search phrase" but that doesn't work in Opus's search.

I've deleted that Redirect Michael. It was obviously an error I made at some point.

I'm not quite sure what it is you're trying to do. If you could describe the type of search you're having trouble with maybe one of the Editors can be of assistance.

Thanks!

What I'd like to know is how to find a particular phrase or exact combination of words. If for example, I wanted to write a [hypothetical] location article about Newcastle upon Tyne, and wanted to link it from every species article that mentions the place, I would want to search for the phrase "Newcastle upon Tyne" in such a way that the search ignores any other mentions of Newcastle, such as Newcastle under Lyme, Newcastle Emlyn, Newcastle County Down, Newcastle New South Wales, etc., etc. This is possible in google search by using quote marks "Newcastle upon Tyne", but this does not work in Opus's search, it still returns all mentions of 'Newcastle', plus all mentions of 'upon', plus all mentions of 'Tyne'.

Try putting the +sign in front of the significant words.

Still doesn't work, unfortunately.

Also what's worse is that the search doesn't discriminate whole words; to go back to my previous example, the 'upon' not only picks up every instance of 'upon', it also picks up that set of letters anywhere, such as the name Dupont, whether you want it or not. So you end up with a huge set of non-relevant search results.

Last edited:
This may be a weakness of the wiki software used to run opus. I know we have similar problems in the gallery. If you search for how to search wikipedia, does that come up with something helpful?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back