• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D60 problem? (1 Viewer)

dylan

United Kingdom
I'm really fuming at the moment.... I just took 2 pictures in my garden which I was very excited about, reviewed them on the LCD after taking them yet they appear not to have saved to the memory card.

Any ideas?

This is the first time this has happened.

TIA

Not familiar with that model, Dylan, but some cameras won't save more than a certain number of pics even if there's space on the card. Conversely, of course, could the card either be full or need formatting ?

Apart from that, no idea, I'm afraid.

Tony

Hi Dylan

Have you tried to download these from the camera via Cnon zoombrowzer or a card reader, and were they on a microdrive or compact flash card

Cheers Tony, the card is not full, I tried it again straight away.

Nigel, I'm using a CF card and using a card reader. After taking each shot it displayed the quick review with histogram then disappeared, I then used the review button to take another look and the picture was there. When I put the card in the cardreader the last 2 photos were not there.
Is there some sort of photographers 'sods law', I had taken a near perfect pic of the male Robin feeding his mate & would have been my best shot yet!

if at first you don't succeed.......

the birds had moved back into the shady tree by the time I got back outside but this time the camera is working! I'll have to keep an eye on the camera for a while.

Attachments

• dm_robin_feed_mate.jpg
    dm_robin_feed_mate.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 250
Sometimes the D60 will hold images in the buffer memory and write them to the card later after more pix have been taken, they will get deleted when you take the card out, this is common with d60s with the firmware version 1.0.0 or 1.0.2, Canon have a firmware update version 1.0.4 that can be downloaded for free at this site

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/D60/D60_Firm-e.html

It is simple to install and will cure this problem. and speed up the A/F

The camera menu says it is 1.04 firmware (only bought it recently). Maybe I turned the camera off too quickly after the shot, but that wouldn't explain losing the last 2 shots (wasn't in burst mode).
Thanks Nigel, hopefully it will behave itself

Hi !
If the camera saved the pic onto the CF Card (I don't know, if your camera did or not), then you should try PhotoRecovery .
Have a look at :
http://www.lc-tech.com/
And download the trial version. This version only shows Thumbnails of deleted pics of the card.
If your pics are shown as thumbnails, you are able to get them back with the full version of PhotoRecovery. But the full version is not for free.
If there are thumbnails of the pics you lost are shown, please contact me via E-Mail. Maybe I can help !

Regards,
Gerd

Thanks Gerd, I've formatted the card since the problem! I'll make a note of that software for future reference
Cheers,
Dylan.

Dylan,

You say you may have turned the camera off too quickly after taking pics.
If you shoot in RAW mode they are 7-8mb file sizes even in large mode 1.8-2.1mb files.

Always check the small light in media door is out before switching it off or taking the card out.. if light is on the files are still writing to the card.

I really don't think that I turned the power off too quickly, I was just trying to think of all possibilties.
I'm switching to shooting RAW mode so I'll bear in mind what you say.
Thanks Terry.

Hi again.
Dylan, it doesn't matter if you formatted the card. In most cases, the program will find pictures - even if the card has been formatted. The Program will find as much pictures as take place on the whole card. A picture on the card is only then really deleted, if there has been written another picture on top of the datas of the old one. So, with a little bit luck, you can recover pictures, that you made month ago, even if you've taken photos after that, if the new pics are not written over the same sectors of the card.

Have a try ...

Thanks to everyone for the help :t:

Gerd, thankyou for the advice, I've purchased the program and it has recovered the pics :)

Embarrassingly the pictures I recovered turned out to be average quality & the pictures I took shortly afterwards were better!

Interesting to note that the photorecovery program also recovered a couple of pics I hadn’t even noticed had gone missing. I will be keeping a very careful eye on the camera/CF card.

I’ve attached one of the recovered pics (oops did I use the phrase ‘near perfect' earlier 3:) I got carried away:)

Attachments

• recovered.jpg
    recovered.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 238
Terry, according to the EXIF data I was 4.8metres away, 100-400mm lens@400
I was very pleased with the pictures, I managed to get a few.
Low light and birds staying deep in the bushes meant I had to use ISO400.

attached another pic, almost identical but a tad sharper

Attachments

• dm_feedingmate.jpg
    dm_feedingmate.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 236
Dylan, that is some action shot.......well done in the heat of the moment. I can well see that you were anxious to retrieve those pictures.
Did you focus manually?

Hello Paula, I've managed a few more nice pics, i'll post a link when I've sorted them rather than flood the gallery.

Used autofocus majority of the time, it seemed to cope pretty well considering the conditions.

This happened to my D60 as well and I don't know what caused it and have never been able to repeat the problem. I put it down to having a bad day we all have them don't we?
P

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back