• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

more...

Attachments

• shankspreen.jpg
    shankspreen.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 60
  • ringplovpreen.jpg
    ringplovpreen.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 67
  • wetlappy.jpg
    wetlappy.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 69
  • wetfes.jpg
    wetfes.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 74
  • chaff.jpg
    chaff.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 69
A couple of random sketches too. The bhgs were from the conservatory on tuesday (in the rain) and the crows are from St. James' park, just scribbled in a notepad at lunch one day last week.

Attachments

• flybhgs.jpg
    flybhgs.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 65
  • crows.jpg
    crows.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 72
The rain kept me inside at the weekend so I got some real work done too. I was told by Bruce Pearson once that I should get out and paint what I see, real encounters from experience. He also said in the same conversation, avoid cliché and don't walk the same path as others have before you. The image of a barn owl perched on a fencepost at sunrise is nothing new. It's not 'pushing the envelope' or 'challenging accepted boundaries'. It's never going to 'set the world alight' or 'upset the applecart' of the wildlife art world. But perhaps there is a reason for the amount of times this image has been repeated to the point of cliché. Could it be that barn owls perch on fenceposts and that you are most likely to encounter them at the begginings and ends of the day? This painting was sparked by a real encounter with a real wild barn owl at a real location. This image is my reaction to that encounter and, for me, it is a matter of supreme indifference if others see it as 'hackneyed', 'run of the mill' or cliché in any way, I like it and I hope (and believe) that others will too. I think that's my chances of ever exhibiting with SWALA gone down the pan! ;)B :)

Mike

BTW the greens in this scan have gone a bit haywire!

Attachments

• moment.jpg
    moment.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Congratulations on your choice of Birdwatching Day - sounds like Sunday was miserable (as so eloquently expressed by the splendidly downbeat pheasant and lappy drawings), but the previous day's encounters are beautifully depicted; RP preening, heron portrait, reed bunt and yellowags are right up there. The 2 sheets of thumbnails are bursting with character and, as you rightly point out, cliches are such because they clang with truth - like 'em or not. This one (if you insist on categorising it as such) appeals to the very core of me and, I suspect, many other viewers. Lovely.

Hi Mike , super sketches and the Barnie is a superb capture of a moment in time.Its got it all.
Just to keep you going. Seen from the garden tick. cracking veiw of a Crane flying over keeping low because of the rain and mist not a speck miles up there

Ahhrghh! I've seen a crane from my office window; A big metal thing with 'Taylor Woodrow' written on the side...

Mike

Spare a thought for a few of us up here who have dipped the Black Stork. It's actually been around for the best part of a week, but the closest I've come is the spreadable stuff in the fridge.

The painting sets the perfect mood for the perfect situation, Mike.

I love the third sketch-- is that the wagtail? There's something about the way that guy is looking at the viewer...

I generally have to crane my neck to watch birds in flight...

I have been looking at the work produced by the artists on this site; http://www.dailypaintworks.com/ recently. It's not wildlife but I love it. I think the idea of painting a small work once a day is fascinating and the results of these artists' efforts speak for themselves. Having painted a couple of real detailed pieces I thought I'd give the old bristly brushes a run out and this is the first result. I don't think I'd have the discipline (or time) to do a daily painting but maybe once a week could be feasable. Hmm, we'll see.

Mike

Attachments

• rlp_painting1.jpg
    rlp_painting1.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 98
Took about an hour and a half, no prep at all just dived straight in sketching with the brush from a photo displayed on screen in front of me. I was absolutely determined not to get into detail this time and the self imposed time deadline meant that I couldn't anyway.

Mike

ooooh! That partridge is excellent (you knew I'd say that about it!) the colours, the brushwork, the look of the bird, the etc etc, it just zings with energy and expression. A huge amount of excellent work on here recently!

like it? I love it, glad you had fun painting it - the enjoyment of the creative process shines through.

- the enjoyment of the creative process shines through.
Absolutely second that! You know, that's how yer man RB works too, Mike. I think you've really hit a method which you can take a long, long way. Please keep splashing it about (controlled splashing, anyway) - the energy really shows.
Er - nice one, of course.

Day two. Not sure if this is as successful but still fun to do so I guess that's the point.

Mike

Attachments

• hs_painting2.jpg
    hs_painting2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 116
you've hit a point of great new creativity, even if you look back on these and decide they weren't successful for whatever reason, it's all part of the process and you'll take new discoveries along with you as you carry on. I for one, really like the spadger, he's got that perky robustness and obstinance to a t.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back