• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kaziranga in December (1 Viewer)

ianreid

Hi All,

I have just been invited to give a talk at a conference in Guwahati in late December, so plan to add a few days before the conference for birding. Unfortunately I can't add more...

Not having birded in India at all previously, I've pretty much decided that my best bet would be to go to Kaziranga for a few days.

Can anyone recommend local (English-speaking) guides that I might be able to hire for a few days in Dec?

I have read a trip report or two that report having heard Blue-naped Pitta as early as Dec. Would I be wasting my time to look for them in 3rd week of Dec, or might I have a chance?

Cheers, Ian

Ian, if you get no more specific replies, you could just contact the well known guide and fixer, Peter Lobo. Should be easy to find his details online. He'd be able to set you up or guide you himself...

Also, there was an interesting discussion on BF recently re calling seasons for Thai pittas. James Eaton was suggesting that they had no real season so the same may apply for BNP I guess. I think you'd find that thread easily if you looked.

Andy

Thanks Andy, very useful. I have Peter's details already -- I corresponded with him about a possible trip to Eaglenest a couple of years back (didn't get off the ground, sadly). I'll have a look for the Thai pittas thread.

Cheers, Ian

Also, there was an interesting discussion on BF recently re calling seasons for Thai pittas. James Eaton was suggesting that they had no real season so the same may apply for BNP I guess. I think you'd find that thread easily if you looked.

Andy

I wouldn't extrapolate the situation in the Peninsular Malaysia / Borneo region to the situation in NE India regarding calling Pitta's, especially not for Blue-naped Pitta.

Fair point, Temmie.

If it's of help Ian, they were calling a lot in April at Panbari when I was there in 2006...

Last edited:
Fair point, Temmie.

If it's of help Ian, they were calling a lot in April at Panbari when I was there in 2006...

Gripping. But not much help ;-).

I'll get there in April one day, but when work pays, I rarely get a choice of date. Sometimes it's sweet (eg NZ in November, Japan in Dec) but mostly I'm just thankful I get to go at all!

Cheers, Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back